Remix of an older song

I have to say I'm a bit surprised no one has responded to my request.. not real sure how to take that or what that means... :rolleyes:

I have to say I'm a bit surprised no one has responded to my request.. not real sure how to take that or what that means... :rolleyes:

Hey '79...I doubt it means much. Maybe just a bit slow here lately, or maybe you set the bar too high ("...quality equipment (monitors, room acoustics)...").

Well, I have neither, but I gave it a listen anyway :). Performance seems fine and no problems with clarity here. Electric guitar sounded good. I have zero experience with this genre, but to me, it seemed a bit empty sounding overall. Meaning, you've got good clarity and things are panned appropriately, but you have this smallish elctronic sounding drum kit as the anchor and there was just to much empty sonic space for my liking.

Any way you could fatten things up a bit and/or get it more organic sounding? That would be cool.

Thanks for the reply heatmiser, I actually pulled back the low end because I don't get good bass reproduction out of my monitors and I didn't want it to be to heavy on the low end. Maybe I pulled back too much.

As far as the bar, I'm pretty sure there are people here with pro or near pro equipment, maybe the genre throws them off.

Contemporary christain music has different words, but it's still music and I think the basic concepts apply.

The drum loop actually came from my Boss DR-670, I have EZdrummer, maybe I'll work on putting that to it.

Thanks again for the reply.

My personal taste would be for more "depth" (verb / delay, ...)on the ac and eletric guitars (specially the R one).
About the bass you´re right, bass guitar is low in the mix.

I´d work more on the "hihat/shake", it lacks definition/punch in the mix.

Vocals are fine

Ciro

Thanks everyone, I have EZdrummer, guess I'll work on my programming skills.

I originally did this song about 6 years ago when all I had was the Boss drum machine.

Generally sounded pretty good. Performances are good. I liked the acoustic guitar sound. Good clarity on the vocals.

The electric guitar is a little thin sounding and isn't quite enough to balance out the acoustic guitar on the left. I'd almost prefer double tracking the acoustic and hard panning them to each side.

Drums are mechanical. The kick is real loud.

I think there's a bass there. But it's real quiet.

TripleM, you're comment about double tracking and panning the acoustic is interesting. In my original version of this song I did just that. This time I thought I would try to clean it up a bit so I just went with the acoustic on one side.

The bass is there, I was trying to tame it a bit but instead I guess I killed it. :p

Besides the drums and bass which everyone has commented on, and I agree, here's what I hear:
1) The acoustic guitar is thin sounding. You hear the pick more than the body of the chord. Move the mic closer to the guitar to add some depth and richness to the acoustic. Try about a foot from the 12th fret and move around til you get a good tone. I'd also add a second acoustic part and pan it to the other side, maybe finger pick that part.
2) The electric sounds thin as well. Needs some mid range punch. I'd double track a second part maybe a third lower. Pan the two left and right, but not as far out as the acoustic to fill in a little around the vocals.
3) Vocals are fine, organ is fine

Back