Remembering the Delmores and Mr. Acuff

Harvey's "Bluegrass on the Cheap" post inspired me to steal away out to the shed and record something. It's hard to find the time, and then I usually get a call from somebody needing something right in the middle of a good take!

Starting with just a guitar and vocal (no particular arrangement) all tracks except bass were recorded with a single EV 635a that I got used for less than $25. I bought a pair of them from someone who had rescued the mics from the "Hager Brothers" estate (remember them on Hee Haw?) The bass was captured with an Octava Mk012. I used a Millennia HV3 preamp, a Lucid AD9624 AD converter, and an Akai DPS24 for tracking and mixing. The final mix was 'mastered' with a basic Ozone 4 preset. For a few giggles I sped it up just a little bit in Adobe Audition to make it sound more like some of the old stuff I listen too. I can't prove it, but I believe they used to speed recordings up back in the day to give it a little more snap.

I was part of the headliner group at "Delmore Days" in Athens, Al this year. It gave me the opportunity to learn this and several other great songs from the Delmore Brothers repertoire. I've heard their stuff most of my life, but never buckled down and learned any of it before. It was a fantastic bunch to play with, including Dennis Crouch on bass, Chris Scruggs on guitar, and Jim and Inge Wood on fiddle. A couple of weeks after the show, Jim got a very nice letter from Alton Delmore's daughter saying that no group had ever treated her father's material with more respect. Having been appointed the "Delmore point man" for the group, I was very proud of that letter.

Enough yammering. I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving weekend.

Tracy Latham

Attachments

• A_Precious_Jewel.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
That was great !!! I love traditional bluegrass, and your playing was superb. I wish I played Dobro half as well as you. I'm still learning.

Thanks for the nice compliment. My strength on dobro is making the most of all three licks I know : ) I feel the same way about your recording skills. I'm learning, too...I think....hard to say. If I lived close to you, Harvey, maybe we'd be pickin' buddies.

Back