Reinstalling windows...need to reinstall software?

trogdor

I am doing a clean install of windows on my OS partition because of a virus and a lot of clutter.

I have a couple games and other software on a separate partition though...will these still work with the clean install? Or will I have to reinstall the software as well?

hmmm, good question. I'm not sure. Might or it might not. At the very least you'll have to recreate any shortcuts you might have.

you normally have to re-install the software (sometimes though you do not, depends on the software), because all of the registry information is on your main windows drive, and it will be lost once you format the main drive.
if you have all the saved games or music files on the other partion, then re-install the game/program everything should be back to normal then

peace
LB

A good number of games don't have to be reinstalled, but most applications will have to be.

It's really best just to back up all your save files and important stuff, wipe it all and start clean.

trogdor said:
I am doing a clean install of windows on my OS partition because of a virus and a lot of clutter.

I have a couple games and other software on a separate partition though...will these still work with the clean install? Or will I have to reinstall the software as well?

Yes - you must reinstall everything. Reinstalling Windows will create a new registry. All apps add keys to it upon installation. Programs also usually place their DLL's in the Windows\system directory.

I just went through this with Win98; renamed my computer Lazarus. I had to reinstall all the software - every bit - but I was able to save all my data. So it was a major pain but not a disaster. YMMV...

Back