Reinforced Strings... Ernie Ball.

GuitarDemon666

Me saw some strings just the other day. Ernie Ball had something called Reinforced or some shit like that. Supposedly they were less likely to break at the bridge.

What's the story with these? What is the downside?

They've got some string wrapped around the lock part down by the ball end (where the string is twisted up on itself to lock things together). The idea is that they are less likely to unwrap themselves, but to be honest I've seen very, very few strings break in this fashion. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing one, except on a defective string or two that did this as soon as you put it on the guitar. I would say they are a total waste of money.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

They've got some string wrapped around the lock part down by the ball end (where the string is twisted up on itself to lock things together). The idea is that they are less likely to unwrap themselves, but to be honest I've seen very, very few strings break in this fashion. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing one, except on a defective string or two that did this as soon as you put it on the guitar. I would say they are a total waste of money.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Really? its happened to me...several times. Maybe i need to adjust the action on my guitar, but regardless, these strings seem like a good thing to me at least.

I always laugh at these kinds of gimicks. Around 40 years ago I learned that strings have a limited life time. about 20 hrs max. Change them and they wont break unless they are defective or you are bending the s##* out of them.
Metal fatigue.

Back