Refining the set-up... to Rack or not...

Mikeyprs

Sup dudes,

I've been recently looking into the world of the rack set up and wondering how would I go about getting one organised.

I currently have all my pedals (except a Boss RV-3) on a home built pedal-board which is extremely strong... but rather heavy (see attached pic). I guess I'm trying to find a way to downsize what is going to be on the floor in front of me when performing live (yes I do use alot of the effects I have).

I'm thinking of having the Marshall AVT50 Head in the rack as well as a few pedals that would be permanently on such as the RV-3, GE-7 and one or two other pedals depending.

I'm unsure of whether to sell the RV-3 in favour of buying a DD-3 and the RV-5 altho the RV-3 Does have both functions.

Any comments, suggestions & ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• The Pedalboard.jpg
    The Pedalboard.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 31
  • AVT amp.jpg
    AVT amp.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 32
I'm not sure I can find a question in there...

But if your happy with your sound, stick with it, don't change a thing... or maybe just change a little thing...

I wouldn't jump to all rack components for your live guitar rig... kind of stroll there instead... take your time, find out what you like, and what you don't... then make an educated decision (which just may be a hybrid combination of the two).

Yeah sorry about the vagueness of the thread.

What I think I want to achieve is a more of compact rig but still versatile enough to do what I need the equipment to do.

I'm happy with the sound and everything but what I would like to do is a combination of re-building the pedal board because of the weight and size of it and possible build a rack using the amp head and a few effects that I use which are always on (E.g Reverb, Delay, EQ and a tuner)

A new pedal-board should be easy enough but in a sense I feel need some help in regards to the rack?

how do I know or get an amp head will/to fit in one?

I've seen a number of rack effect products mentioned in other forums

I'd like to know what other people's opinions are of these products...

Korg DTR-2000 Chromatic Tuner

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Boss GE-131 31-Band Graphic Equalizer

Would these products be nesscessary or as mentioned earlier incorporate some of the effects from the pedalboard to the amp effects loop that would be on all the time??

The pedal board would be significantly lighter if you picked up a commercial version of hollow plastic... (wood and particle board is heavy)

And you may want to try out some multi effect pedals, or some of the rack mount modeler effects. Give them a try... and then keep only the pedals for what the multi effect doesn't ring true on...

Why the Sonic Maximizer?

And racking gear up doesn't necessarily lighten the load... It just makes it kind of squarish...

I have thought about using a different material(s) to build a pedal-board from. Just a case of looking at my options and guaging whether it'll stand up to the beating that almost all music gear receives at some point lol.

I have used multi-effects in the past and Imo I can't stand them.
Simply because I find that the single's have more of a truer, stronger signal and ultimately 'effect' due to the fact that each perticular pedal is only doing one job, whereas a multi-effects has to have all the software for all the effects... if that even makes sense lol.

Tbh, I'm not entirely sure in regards to the sonic maximizer - I'm still searching about the net on rackmount products and trying to understand how the application(s) work, all the while thinking carefully about if it will benefit me before I shell any money out.

What I want to achieve is just the effects that I can turn on/off at will in front of me and the effects that are permanently on elsewhere I.e Through the effects send/ return of my Marshall amp Head.

in which case, what would be my option to case the amp head with effects similar if not like rackmount case type thing :S

Lol can you tell the unsureness here aha

Thanks for your help/comments so far!

Back