Reference Power Amps

kindofblue

I was just wondering what to look for in a power amp dedicated just for tracking and mixing? Can I get by with a cheap alesis? or will I hear a difference a little higher up?

dave

kindofblue said:
I was just wondering what to look for in a power amp dedicated just for tracking and mixing? Can I get by with a cheap alesis? or will I hear a difference a little higher up?

dave

You might want to consider a set of powered monitors.
I've run a variety of ways over the years and found that a good pair of powered Monitors made me smile a little more often.
I've been using the Yamaha MSP5 Bi-amped monitors with 40 watts dedicated to the 5" and 28 watts dedicated to the 1" tweeter. Although I'm sure some guys/gals will differ, My ears seem to hear a faster and cleaner signal.

My previous setup consisted of a 200 wt per side amp and Yamaha NS10M's. I wasn't sure that 40wt X 28wt was going to be even close to what I needed but...It Is.
Don't know how they do it but man they pack a punch!

But if not, Here are a few amps I have that do a fine job:

Peavey CS 200X 110wt x 2 No Fan C-Cooled..Tons of over-head power. Wont wimp out.

Soundtech PS-802 230wt 8ohm x 2 with dual varispeed fans. Fan doesn't run until you drive the amp hard....Tons of power in a single rack unit. Will also deliver 400wts x 2 in 4 ohm load. or 800wts bridged

Just my 2 Cents

C

About the only "cheap" amps I've heard that I actually liked are the Hafler TA series.

You can hardly go wrong with used Bryston and Crown amps also...

Back