Reel to Reel Question

rcarden2

With prices as cheap as they are, I've been looking at getting an older 4 track reel to reel off of ebay and I was wondering if these units have built in preamps in them. My gut says no, but do any of you guys have experience with them? I'm looking at a Tascam 34 more specifically. Thanks!

Ryan.

No.

The Tascam 34 has 4-in/4-out on RCA jacks running -10dbV line level, only.

However, the only 4-track reel/reel that I'm aware of that has mic inputs would be the Tascam 34B, so I'd suggest finding one of those instead. It's just like the 34 in the transport section, but with an added (4) mic inputs, In/Out level controls, and a 4x1 mono headphone amp, built in.

See! You were very close by choosing the 34, but you'd want the "B" model, which gives some handy upgrades to the 34(std).

;)

See: Tascam 34B

Attachments

• Tascam 34B g.jpg
    Tascam 34B g.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Is this for recording stuff which will subsequently be dumped to your hard drive?

Because if not then you need to be aware that all the tracks will be hard panned left or right.

Eh,... I'm afraid not.

The outputs will be a discrete 1, 2, 3 & 4, respectively.

The outputs could be properly mixed on a matched mixer such as the Tascam M30/M35/M308/M312/M320 & a host of others. (M200's, M500's, etc.),....;)

From the 34B manual:...

"Microphone Input - 1/4" phone jack accepts unbalanced signals from any type of microphone having any impedance from 150 ohms to 10K ohms."

Hey, I have one of those 34B's sitting here next to me!
Haven't had occassion to use it though... :confused:

Back