Reel to Reel Newbie

Sumpy

Hi all ,

Have just discovered this forum and have just become the proud owner of 2 decks.

1. TEAC A-2300SX

2. National RS-755S

I have started cleaning and testing the TEAC however the left channel seems to be quite a bit muddy. Right channel is crystal clear but the left is lacking.

When I change the output to Microphone both channels are loud and clear. but on tape playback left is muddy ?

Can the heads wear out on only one channel ?

Any advice will be gladly accepted plus any information on how to visually examine heads.

Cheers

J

Can the heads wear out on only one channel ?
They can if the mechanical alignment is out. This misalignment can come from a previous owner who might of monkeyed with it or from a faulty loading spring.

There's also a good possibility that there's a build-up of oxide on the heads that needs something more then a "polite" cleaning. Try cleaning the heads with a bit more pressure of the q-tip swab and using isopropyl alcohol. Also inspect the heads with a magnifying glass to see if the surface of the heads appear different in terms of wear and color. The color difference may be a strong clue that part of the head is clogged with dirt/oxide build up.

If after a thorough cleaning and a retest with fresh new tape and the same issue is there, consider getting the machine checked out for head alignment issues or possible electronic ones within the internal pre-amp circuitry.

Cheers! :)

Thanks a heap GFM.

Have cleaned the heads again with a lot more pressure and head cleaner,

Problem still persists in left channel with new tape.

I have orded the Servicing Manual, so will have a good going over of the unit when that arrrives.

If all fails I hope there is a tech place i my area.

Thanks again

J

Back