Reel rehab

quarterinch

Is it a good idea to attempt to straighten out a 10 1/2" metal reel? I have one that's branded "Tacam" which in two different places is squashed just enough to cause some tape grab as she rotates. I have it mounted on the take-up side. It's annoying as hell as it makes that scraping noise twice a revolution.

If so, what's the preferred method and typical success rate? :)

quarterinch said:
Is it a good idea to attempt to straighten out a 10 1/2" metal reel? I have one that's branded "Tacam" which in two different places is squashed just enough to cause some tape grab as she rotates. I have it mounted on the take-up side. It's annoying as hell as it makes that scraping noise twice a revolution.

If so, what's the preferred method and typical success rate? :)

IF the reel is bent, bend it back I say.

quarterinch said:
what's the preferred method and typical success rate? :)
:) ...are you into med. stuff or something? :D

Also, I never done it myself with metal reel flanges, but when I need to flatten/straighten a metal plate like part/cut I use this method: use a good flat surfaced cut of wood and hammer over it (see pic attached). I am not sure if it would work well... also depending on what kind of damage the reel has, but as I understand (if you are talking about this kind of reels )you can unscrew three screws, take flanges off, place them on some nice flat surface and - bang-banag .. or maybe just by pressing on it ???
I'd imagine, if you try to bend the flanges on the reel you may actually make it worse... or maybe not... well, I am not really sure about it.

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 50
Dr ZEE said:
:) ...are you into med. stuff or something? :D
Well I think I mmay suffer from some kind of depression so that' probably the source of that language.

Thanks for the replies.

I was gonna try bending it by hand the first time around but was beginning to think it might be an exercise in futility; wasn't sure if common knowledge was to just trash them.

Gonna give it a shot. I'll report back.

It can be done, just be careful not to stress the metal too much. If worse comes to worst, I may be able to dig up a couple of flanges for you!

quarterinch said:
...wasn't sure if common knowledge was to just trash them..
Sure, you can trash it (them). BUT! Common knowledge also is... that people willing to pay some good buck for a metal reel with word like TASCAM, TEAC, Revox, Otari, AKAI, Pioneer ... (you name it ) on it:) I've seen TEAC and TASCAM reels gone for $40 and up. People like nice big good looking words, I guess :rolleyes:
Fix it and use it.

One more dumb question for tonite: I just noticed that the flange holes on some of my reels are in alignment and some aren't. In other words, on the ones that are aligned I can see thru the reel. On the others I can't.

Does that matter?

FWIW, it seems like I can better eyeball the tape "remaining" on the offset flanges.

quarterinch said:
One more dumb question for tonite: I just noticed that the flange holes on some of my reels are in alignment and some aren't. In other words, on the ones that are aligned I can see thru the reel. On the others I can't.

Does that matter?

FWIW, it seems like I can better eyeball the tape "remaining" on the offset flanges.
Some were made like that, though you generally see that on older reels. But it doesn't matter as long as the tape is packing evenly.

out of strange curiosity... I've just tried to 'align' the holes on tascam reel - not a freakin' chance. :D lol wasted 10 mins of life trying hard and failed miserably. the only way to align holes is to flip one of the flanges TASCAM-inside-ugly-tooth out ... if you practically try to do it - you'll know what I'm talkin'about - rofl... :D

Back