Reeee---veerb

andrushkiwt

For the first time, I've downloaded and tried out a new reverb aside from the stock verb in Studio One 2. The first thing I noticed was that I had much more control over everything, including some nifty new (to me) features, like early reflections, the panning of such and their level on both R and L. No more presets. No more templates. Just good ol knobs and you turn the damn things until it sounds good. I like it. However, I'm battling myself with the early reflections since this is a new concept to me which my previous verb didn't give control over.

Anyone care to lecture about these and give me a better grasp on how to manage them? Or should I resort to google searches with answers from people i don't know/trust? :D

I feel like I have a good tool to help gel things here, but I don't want to muck it up too much.

Here's a shot of the plug:

sanford-reverb-vst.jpg

Looks interesting. I've been using Ambiance, which is a big step up from the ReaVerb native plugin for Reaper. But I like to learn about new stuff.

I'll be reading for the responses to your question. I'd just assumed early reflection was related to room size, but someone will be along who really knows.

The early reflections are a little like the slap-back delay effect. It simulates how far away from a reflective surface the source is. So if you want to simulate something being farther away, you could increase the time before the early reflection is heard. At least that's how I view it...

I have a love/hate relationship with reverb. I use it (more than one, actually) on every mix, but I absolutely hate getting lost in too many parameters. And reverbs tend to be some of the most overcomplicated VSTs around. I've spent entire weekends adjusting parameters on reverb plugins and it just irritates me to no end. Any more, I tend to stick to the presets. Better yet, if I can find a good reverb impulse and use that to avoid having to muddle through 11 parameters to get a sound that I like, then I'm a happy guy.

See, I figured they controlled the sense of the size of the room, but what the hell do I need L and R for, pan, level etc... When would you not make them even? Is there a scenario where you need panning controls for the sense of verb?

I'll probably dial something in and think "ok, that sounds good", then someone will say "your room is weird", or "check those verb settings, somethings off"

See, I figured they controlled the sense of the size of the room, but what the hell do I need L and R for, pan, level etc... When would you not make them even? Is there a scenario where you need panning controls for the sense of verb?

I'll probably dial something in and think "ok, that sounds good", then someone will say "your room is weird", or "check those verb settings, somethings off"

:) Yeah, or "your vocal sounds like it's in a different space..." I'm with Tad, I hate fiddling with this stuff. You're much more into exploring and experimenting with plugins, and it shows in your mixes.

I meant it in a good way. You're learning the tools of the trade, much more than I ever will. I lack the patience to get deep into the plugins and really figure out what they can do. At the end of the day, I'm a primitive. I'd be happiest just playing guitar and bass and writing songs.

I've used early reflections panned opposite of a guitar to balance it out a bit.

The sea of knobs and little else makes that plug a little unintuitive, but if you consider the knob descriptions...you can sort it out.

Best thing...pick a preset...and then play around with just ONE parameter at a time to hear what it does...rather than tackling all of them at once.

In that plug...I'm guessing what the call early reflections is comparable to talking about pre-delay...and that is one of the very important parameters for getting good VS bad reverbs.
Sometimes a few milliseconds more/less pre-delay makes all the difference in the clarity of the dry VS wet mix, and how it all sits in the overall song mix.
Along with that...some verbs have a "build up" parameter....how fast you go from no reverb to full reverb, which is what comes after the pre-delay parameter....and then finally the overall decay time of the tail and it's shape.

Those three things, along with the actual choice of reverb style...are the key things.
All the other "slick" options you get with digital reverb plugs are just cake trimming...and not really that vital, but sometimes needed to fine tune a particular reverb sound.

The Waves H-Reverb is now my Swiss Army Knife and Cadillac of reverb options...but I do have a really high-end 'verb that comes with my DAW, plus a couple of other add-ons...and I just picked up the Waves Abbey Road Plates reverb set...though have yet to even install it...but I LOVE PLATE reverbs, they are my primary reverb type choice for a lot of stuff, so I'm looking forward to using the Abbey Road Plates.

Oh yeah...I see it now (too many knobs :D).

I guess the ability to change the early reflections on the left and right side could be cool...shaping the room sound differently in the overall stereo image, just not sure how much that will really be of importance in a typical Rock/Pop mix...but at least you have more options to play with.

Kinda puzzled that there is a Left and Right section, with, I guess, three types per side (?)....but then, each type also has a pan knob...???
Does the pan knob allow you to place the Left side all the way to the right...???...or is it panning only within the Left to Center, and Right to Center for each section...if I'm making sense...?

What do they say in the manual about that?

Oh yeah...I see it now (too many knobs :D).

I guess the ability to change the early reflections on the left and right side could be cool...shaping the room sound differently in the overall stereo image, just not sure how much that will really be of importance in a typical Rock/Pop mix...but at least you have more options to play with.

Kinda puzzled that there is a Left and Right section, with, I guess, three types per side (?)....but then, each type also has a pan knob...???
Does the pan knob allow you to place the Left side all the way to the right...???...or is it panning only within the Left to Center, and Right to Center for each section...if I'm making sense...?

What do they say in the manual about that?

Man..u...al? What's THAT?!

Lol. Yeah I should probably read that thing. If they go into detail about wtf everything does and its purpose, I'll probably be all set. This thing looks fancy and legit, but it was free fyi. However, it was among one of the "best free vst's" according to whomthehellever. I previously read about early reflections but I'm struggling to grasp their use and how to best shape the room sound with them.

It's trial and error I guess. Just trying to eliminate some of that error by stopping here first. I'll share something with y'all if I learn anything.

I get control phobia when I see that many dials. H Reverb is my fave too, it manages to keep things under control by hiding the more advanced stuff in the default view. And it has looooots of presets.

Last edited:
Wait a few days, it'll go on sale again. Waves is like the Kohl's of plugin manufacturers. . .

I like Kohl's. I refuse to pay more than $50 for jeans....

alright, but I'd rather grab a bundle with good EQ, verb, comp. basic stuff. If you see a sale or something sometime, gimme a shout if you remember

I refuse to pay even $50 for jeans....I mean, they're fucking jeans!!! :D

Waves does this random sales thing throughout the year, plus every weekend they have a Saturday-only/Sunday-only sale email that they send out (at least they do if you have an account with them...but November/Thanksgiving week is when they put just about everything on sale.

Also...NEVER buy from Waves directly even when they have a sale...always check their resellers, as you can probably shave a few more bucks off the Wave sale price. I always go through Audio Deluxe, and always get the best deal.

I refuse to pay even $50 for jeans....I mean, they're fucking jeans!!! :D

Waves does this random sales thing throughout the year, plus every weekend they have a Saturday-only/Sunday-only sale email that they send out (at least they do if you have an account with them...but November/Thanksgiving week is when they put just about everything on sale.

Also...NEVER buy from Waves directly even when they have a sale...always check their resellers, as you can probably shave a few more bucks off the Wave sale price. I always go through Audio Deluxe, and always get the best deal.

ok thanks for that. yeah i've seen you post about AD before. I forget about them...isn't that the one you (or someone else maybe) said you can make offers on items? like a bid? I usually scope out Sweetwater. But then they surprised the hell out of me the other day when I bought that SDX i told you about....they fucking telephoned me. just to like, say hi. lol. and thank you for buying something. i found that weird and a little frightening.

hey, $20 jeans are just NOT comfortable. When i'm not at work, i'm jeans all the time and I want to be comfortable. :thumbs up:

That might have been me, I got a negotiation prompt on Waves once after I let something sit in my cart for a few days. I don't have any proof and it never happened again but I swear it was real. . . I still got the plugin anyway so it couldn't all be a figment of my imagination. :D

Back