Reducing Buzzing and rattling in a room - grammas

adam

So I have read quite a bit about bass absorption, traps etc. and have determined the room I am recording and mixing is has lots of bass problems and standing waves. In addition to it just sounding like mud, and unable to clearly hear, lots of reflections etc., the room BUZZES and rattles like crazy. It is an old house with plaster walls, hardwood floors etc.

For the guitar/bass amps it is especially bad, or when turning the bass knob on my monitor's subwoofer past 12:00. Would something like Auralex's Gramma's help with this? Is it effective. I am aware that I am going to need to treat the room with traps, etc. but was wondering if decoupling the amps from the floor would help, or just spend it on another bass trap.

It's not so much the decoupling as it is getting some air around the speaker and distance from the floor. Just putting them on a chair or milk crate can help.

Thanks for the tips. I tried using a chair, and I noticed it helped for sure, though there is still too much buzzing - mosly now from my metal rack it seems. I'll have to work on it.

Perhaps I will try some milkcrates, maybe covered in fabric or something to make it look OK. Would a neoprene mat on top (or bottom) of the crate be effective at all? Also, I wonder if there would be a difference which way you put the crate (right side up, so that the amp is only touching at 2 narrow points - the sides; or upside down) I'll have to give it a try

Back