Red5 Mics?

88fingers

What do you guys know about Red5 mics? I've heard a lot of good things from them from a few other sites (mojopie, listening sessions, harmony central, etc), and would like to get a home recorder's perspective on them. I'm speaking particularly of their drum mics, the kick drum mic (RVD1) and the tom/snare mics (RVD9).

I personally ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM for the price. In fact today I replaced one of the RVD9's with an SM57 on the snare and actually missed the RVD9. The overheads are really crisp and really sound good on the cymbals. The kick mic is probably the worst of the set but with a little bit of EQ you can get a very good sound in my opinion. I mean for £150, and that quality, it's remarkable how they make any money.

Here's a link to a bunch of live jam sessions I recorded, they're a bit rough around the edges but give you an idea of how the Red5 mics sound. The drum kit was done with Red5 mics only. For the best representation of the sound, listen to "The Battle" as the drummer is doing a lot of solo work there.

http://www.myspace.com/thefieldsessions

Cheers
Buzz

The quickest way to satisfy your curiousity is to just get the mics. Either you like them or not. I've never heard of them myself. Although I've been discovering a few lesser known brands in recent history. Charter Oak, Avenson, Busman, Church Audio, ???

I usually stay clear of the bargain bin deals but there have been some great recordings made with some cheap ($) microphones.

:cool:

Back