Red Horse, ears needed.

Axe4Yahweh

Southern Rock Ballad

OK Y'all, This is about the best I can do with this mix considering the rythymn track I had to work with. For those that have not checked out the tune yet, the Rythmn Guitar, Bass, and Drums were originally tracked on a Tascam Cassette PortaStudio almost a year ago. I had to mix the Drum and Bass Tracks together and Pan them Right and the Rythymn Guitar Panned Left to get them onto the computer where I used n-Track for the Lead Guitar, Vox, and mixdown.

I have remixed it, added just a touch of Chorus to the Rythymn Guitar, a bit of Delay on the Vox. I EQed some of highs out of the Drum/Bass track to bring down the Cymbals a bit. I worked with some new settings on the compressor for the output.

Any feedback is welcome.

Red Horse v1 @

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1526/singles.shtml

I have left up the old mix, RoughMixRH, at the same link for comparison.

Lord willing, there will be a new recording of this tune up soon. I'm sure your input will help us with the new version.

Thanks!!!

CR ><>

Hey Hey Rick:

This tune kinda has an Alvin Lee/Neil Young vibe to the music.
The rythym guitar is well-pronounced, and the strumming tight.
I liked the lead guitar. It has a nice biting tone to it, and you came out of the lead nice.
The bass is full, and nicely simple. The bass riff/hook was cool!

Your vocals jolted me outta my seat.
I wouldn't guess you to sing like that, but no one believes I'm not gay either, so you never know...

My main gripe would have to be the drum machine. Not so much the straight beats through it, but a few of the fills were shaky.

Sounds like something Larry Norman woulda wrote back in tha day.

Cool jam, bro.

VI

VI;

I originally wrote the music to this tune around 76 or 77 in a period when I playing alot of Southern Rock on the Bar Circuit. LOL

The Vox is a Scratch Track I may re sing sometime. The Rythymn Guitars are V-AMP2 Fender Deluxe and Twin Patches. The dominant RG is my Axis and the one in the background is my Super Fat Str@ Project Geetar. The Lead is the Super Fat Str@ through a V-AMP2 Marshall JCM800 on Steroids Patch.

The drum machine is Sharon on a Yamaha DTXPess set like you have. HEHEHE

Thanks for the listen and feedback, Bro!

Blessings!!!

CR ><>

yeah some of those drum fills are strange sounding.. there is also a good amount of hiss.. nice lead playing and sound.. good song.. Since your going to rerecord this, I would keep a closer eye on the drummer, and watch the crash cymbal volume.. It sounds like you effected the whole drum sound when you tried to e.q. down the cymbals.. You could always add more cymbals later if they're too low.. sounds decent considering what you had to go through..

Hey Sam! Thanks for the listen and the comments. Always appreciate your input and the input of everyone here. It helps alot, man!

Bless ya!

CR ><>

Anyone else? All comments are welcome. Both versions are still up.

Thanks!!!

CR

I like this tune. Fooled me though. I was thinking bout hearing a classic slow blues starting out with "There's a red horse over yonder....." If your going to retrack this I aint saying nothing except I like it, and with your new gear you'll be able to sit this on a silver plate before serving. :)

axe as always you rock bro, and wow part of this is realy that old?
it realy dont sound that bad at all considering what you had to work with. the drums do get a little funny at times but hey its already been said lol. your vox are great and the guitar playing makes me jelous. you realy rock and i compared the two and even burned them on a cd and listened through my home stereo and the knew one sounds great keep up the good work and id like to hear this when your done retracking it. god bless you brother. flash

Either NWR is painfully slow right now or I'm having ISP problems. I'll have to listen tomorrow night :( I'll just let it download and go off to bed.

Axe4Yahweh said:
VI;

I originally wrote the music to this tune around 76 or 77 in a period when I playing alot of Southern Rock on the Bar Circuit. LOL

That would make you at least..........?.........23.....

Not bad for one of dem olt gise.

I think considering the tracks you had to work with you made the best out of it. I used to play in a southern rock band also so I have a sweet spot for the style.

Good song, real straight forward for the style. If I had to nit pik I'll say watch the pitch on a couple of the bends that go sharp.

All in all, rock on! You play with feeling

Joe

Toki;

I like this tune. Fooled me though. I was thinking bout hearing a classic slow blues starting out with "There's a red horse over yonder....."

OH NO!!! I'm already pigeon-holed as a Blooooooooozer! :eek: ROFL!!! Well, I guess it could be worse... LOL Glad ya like the tune, Bro. Thanks for the listen. Hopefully I'll have something up in the future that will really surprise ya if this one did. :cool:

sjcrts;

Thanks for the listen, Man! Glad ya enjoyed it. :D Keep on Rockin, Bro!

Flash;

Tim, Bro you keep burnin my stuff to CD, you're going to have my CD before I do! :eek: LOL Glad ya liked it. Thanks for the listen and the comments. It's appreciated, Bruddah!

Yes, I wrote this music in 76 or 77. First time the riff was played in public was at VA Tech in 77. It had different words of course and had a Zepplin style breakdown for the Lead Solo at the time.

Jag;

Where'd ya go dude? :o Wakeup!!!

Smokepole;

Yeah Joe, I'm at least 23. LOL But I quit music entirely for 20 years. So that makes me at least 26 goin on 18... :D I like your
math, dude! People keep tellin me I turned 49 last December but I refuse to believe such things.

Good song, real straight forward for the style. If I had to nit pik I'll say watch the pitch on a couple of the bends that go sharp.

Glad ya like the tune. I'll try and refrain from doing a lead when I'm half asleep the next time. :D Thanks for the listen and comments, Man! I appreciate ya!

Good tune. Good playing. That lead was nice. Singing sounds good too. Drums are kinda dull sounding, but that is understandable considering the recording saga you gave above :D

Did I read that you were going to retrack this? If so I think that would be sweet.

Nice work

You ole Blooozer you:D nice chops there ax. Enjoyed the message and really loved the way you sang this. Keep rockin bro!

Jagular said:
Good tune. Good playing. That lead was nice. Singing sounds good too. Drums are kinda dull sounding, but that is understandable considering the recording saga you gave above :D

Did I read that you were going to retrack this? If so I think that would be sweet.

Nice work
Jag;

Thanks for the listen and comments, Man!

Yep, it's going to be retracked. I've done bout all I can with this version.

CR ><>

David said:
You ole Blooozer you:D nice chops there ax. Enjoyed the message and really loved the way you sang this. Keep rockin bro!
David;

Man, I'm going to take up the Kazoo or sumpin! Play polka music on it.

J/K :D Thanks for the listen and reply Bro!

mostessness walingnesses

I really like that dry rythm guitar sound (LP?). Drums sounded great, I think the vocals could maybe come up a bit, but it's all easy to hear.

Right off the top there's some low-fi buzz humm etc...

Nice ending.

Talk about going for the throat. :O
The guitar lead had me smiling from ear to ear after about 2 bars.

Doug

Doug;

That Rythymn was done with my Axis. The hiss was from the Tascam PortaStudio Cassette.

Glad ya liked the tune. Thanks for the listen and reply.

CR ><>

Back