Recreating Hysteria by Def Leppard

Cademan7

Hey everyone! I wanted to share something I've been working on. Basically, I'm gonna be attempting to recreate some of my favorite records and then discussing how I did it and what I learned in the process. The song I've started with is Hysteria by Def Leppard, produced by one of my all-time heroes Mutt Lange. Would love to know what you all think! The first video is jus the performance and the second video is the full session deep dive for any of you who'd like to see how it all went together. Anyway, I had a lot of fun working on it and appreciate any time you guys spend checking it out!

I love it. You did a great job, brother. Sounds fantastic. :cool:

I think the vocals can come up a bit, but I might listen again tomorrow and find them just fine where they are, so that's a very small nit-pick.
You captured the ambience, the sound, and the feel beautifully.

I'll watch the "making of..." later today. I have to be in the mood to watch a 50 minute video. :)

Very cool!

Checked out your YouTube channel. Nice!

Lots of quite varied material there, done well too.

Quite the cozy and well equipped studio too. :-)

Hey everyone! I wanted to share something I've been working on. Basically, I'm gonna be attempting to recreate some of my favorite records and then discussing how I did it and what I learned in the process. The song I've started with is Hysteria by Def Leppard, produced by one of my all-time heroes Mutt Lange. Would love to know what you all think! The first video is jus the performance and the second video is the full session deep dive for any of you who'd like to see how it all went together. Anyway, I had a lot of fun working on it and appreciate any time you guys spend checking it out!
You’ve done a really good job - some points - the guitars sound great - you got really close the original guitars - the Drums are the right parts - the tone sounds processed - and Lange got a little bit more bass/mids out the Kick and Snare - The Bass need to be louder - And I would drop about 30 more tracks of vocals<G> - and then the whole things needs to be lock in rythmically - for that Lange sheen type of thing - you are closer to Def Leppard live -but everything was meticulously locked in the studio - he moved bits and parts around endlessly.

Very Cool though - I love the Song Hysteria - briings me back.

Triple tracking? I agree. Three is better than two. Go four deep and I lose clarity.

Dolby adds all that high end air. try a real dolby 361 with the stretch mod.

"turn the compression up all the way".....fuckn A right.

Aphex has a dolby type effect box from back in the 80's. Works like a gate, or an EQ with a threshold. Aural Exciter 250 type III .
aphexRack.jpg

You mentioned ELO in the video, You know how to sound like a Jeff Lynne record? Tell me !

Last edited:
excellent deep dive on the process.
nothing wrong with being a student of Lange!
LOL

i don't want to get into the full dolby experience,
but i do find that when i track vox "HOT" on the treble, and then roll it down during mixdown,
it seems better than the opposite.
seems close to what you were describing with lange's use of the dolby system.
i used to track to tape using dolby, but never bonded with it.
maybe i was just using it wrong.

Back