Recording

if you have an effects unit, then you can take the output straight into your pc's soundcard input.
You may need a converter thingy for your cable .. that's about 3$ at radio shack.

In this scenario you would unfortunately be bypassing your amp's cabinet and my wish to look into getting a 'red box'.

you could get a microphone for your soudcard and place it in front of your amp.

the best way would probably be to shell out a couple hundread bucks on a little mixer. you could 'mic' your amp and plug the mic straight into the mixer then use your mixer's outputs and line into your soundcard .. again using some type of 1/4' to 1/8' converter.

That is in essence the basic modern home studio. depending on your soundcard, you can get some decent sound.

BTW, i don't use an amp. i'm using the korg toneworks ax1500g it has an amp simulator and a cabinet simulator. I just line that into my mixer and the sound is pretty damn good. Almost sounds like i'm micing an amp that's cranked to 60%!

For most people, using a microphone is the best way.

if you're recording clean sounds, you can go direct, but if you're recording distortion, mic'd is the best way to go, unless you've got a kickass amp simulation unit.

adriano

Back