Recording Workstations

hollowbodyhound

I would like to start a conversation about choosing a recording workstation. I have used PC workstations in the past. My last one was a dual PIII 733 with 1 GB of RAM. It chomped on my sound files well but I found I was always trying to keep it running. Spent as much time working on the PC as I did on projects (I dont have much time so this is annoying). I work in a PC based industry and am not familiar with the Mac OS.

I am going to upgrade my workstation soon, either upgrade the existing PC or buy a used Mac. That is why I'd like to get some input. I have about $500-$700. I looked at used macs and it looks like I could probably pick up a used single processor G4 with 512MB-1GB RAM. While I could upgrade my existing PC with new Mobo, Processor and RAM for about the same. Are these Macs all there cracked up to be?

I don't record many channels simultaneously, occasionnaly I need to record 2-3 tracks at once. My sound card will work on Macs as well. Currently I use Cool Edit which I like but are the Mac OS apps better? What app should be used with the Mac OS's, I knoe Pro Tools but unless I win some lottery that ain't gonna happen so are there other options?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks all

I looked at used macs and it looks like I could probably pick up a used single processor G4 with 512MB-1GB RAM. While I could upgrade my existing PC with new Mobo, Processor and RAM for about the same. Are these Macs all there cracked up to be?

Why spend money on old technology (G4) when a newer P4 will perform better?

Doesn't make sense.

brzilian said:
Why spend money on old technology (G4) when a newer P4 will perform better?

Doesn't make sense.
I agree, but why is there a Mac in every pro studio in the country? Is the software that much better? I don't really need to go through the learning curve of switching to a mac but looking forward if someday I am going to want or need to, why not get it done now.

I really hope this doesnt turn into a Mac Vs Pc debate...

I use both Mac and Pc. I like mac more because i like the set out of it, nothing more, it handles better than my Pc, but thats because ive spent more money on it. If your used to Pc's i would suggest sticking with it, especially if you dont want to learn it all.

Alot of it is software also, Both systems can use sofware such as Cubase, Reason etc. However, some software is only available on certain systems. Pro Tools, Logic etc for Mac. I think you need to find out what software you will be using, and there will be your answer. For that amount of money you will get roughly the same spec system whether its Pc or Mac, so its totally up to how comfortable you are with the OS.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for your post. I don't want to ruffle feathers, just trying to educate myself. I am currently using Cool Edit and it seems to work well but I am an admitted amature. I have recorded myself and others using overdubbing techniques to create complete projects, but plan to try some live recording of small bands in the future.

If there is know big advantage either in software or future needs then I guess I will stick with what I know. I'd love to hear more though.

Thanks again

Back