Recording without a studio

ultrasound

I want to build up some recording and mixing experience but I don't have a studio and my home is unsuitable. My idea is to take my four channel interface, laptop and mics to record some local bands perhaps hiring a practice room. I plan to do it for free. Do you think it's a reasonable idea or a daft one?

Hey just saw your page after your comment, I'm trying to do the same thing so I know what challenges your gonna face. Are you in the UK? It's possible
but hard I had a good budget to set up after going to the princes trust check them out. You can find suitable spaces to use, it's just giving yourself options
with the audio when it comes to mixing later.

What is your background so far and your experience?

Any opportunity to record will help you learn. Also, practice using whatever DAW you have is a big part of the learning process as well. You can probably do that on your computer at home.

It will help you to learn to record a band all at once in a rehearsal room... which is probably not your optimal recording environment and so may not help you learn to record "properly" IMHO. Can't see how it's going to help you mix. If you want to learn to mix, visit the Mix This forum down below and download some sample tracks...

What is your background so far and your experience?

I've been recording and mixing myself at home on Pro Tools for some time doing a mixture of cover songs and and bad originals. I've been using sampled drums but I am going to practice recording drums at a local practice studio soon. I have quite a lot of knowledge about recording from reading articles online, watching videos and I just completed a night class in sound engineering. I just want to stop working in a bank and do something I enjoy for a living. Also, I'm in the UK, I'll check out the Princes Trust thanks for that one :).

it's one thing reading magazines but acutally recording drums in reality is not easy in most cases, you can only learn through experience so I'd say get as much experience as possible. It's probably a good idea to start charging people though once you are confident in your abilities, or you'll get treated badly by diva/wannabe rock stars, don't say I didn't warn you.

What you are wanting to do is great. A while back I wanted to get more experience with recording live jazz. I also wanted a little change from the studio and recording classical groups to keep my mind fresh (and because I got to go see these jazz gigs for free). So I just asked the local groups and the national groups touring in town if I could record their gigs. I also recorded video for them too. That way those groups could get more exposure on Youtube or whatever (if there wasn't any problems with the record labels). The whole experience was great. I started getting paid for those gigs and even won best albums of the year for one of these live recordings. I really think it's great that you are doing this! You'll learn a lot and hopefully you'll get paid for it soon too. With only using 4 channels you'll learn to become very creative in mixing and recording.

Great I'm glad you think it's a good idea. I just spent all my money on microphones. 2 Samson C02 condensers for overheads, a Shure sm57 and an AKG D112 for the kick.

Great I'm glad you think it's a good idea. I just spent all my money on microphones. 2 Samson C02 condensers for overheads, a Shure sm57 and an AKG D112 for the kick.

So, that's the drummer sorted. What about the rest of the band?

I have had some success recording bands using a CO-I pair of capacitors (AKG P150) on one of these...K&M 23550 Stereo Microphone Bar
Tho' mine was a Maplin bar which seems to have been dissed.

In fact unless you have enough mics and channels to cover all of the band (and yes, you need 4 just for the drum kit) I don't see you making much of a job of it other than a stereo recording? The other two channels can be used for "spotting" weaker parts. I find that even with PA assistance the lead vocals tend to get a bit lost (good if you can split out of the vocal PA feed before it hits the room) .

Have fun!

Dave.

Plenty of people record that way but just make sure the band know this is your plan first.
Some bands are cool with this and others dislike it or find it difficult.
You might find yourself inundated with requests...I cant play without hearing X,Y or Z, etc.

Man, dive in!! Just do it... if you are interested and curious, just do it! Try new things, experiment, don't follow rules. I've gotten some of my favorite drum sounds in people's bedrooms or living rooms. I recorded the drums for a GRAMMY nominated album in a rectangle living room with 8' ceilings. Just do it.

Plenty of people record that way but just make sure the band know this is your plan first.
Some bands are cool with this and others dislike it or find it difficult.
You might find yourself inundated with requests...I cant play without hearing X,Y or Z, etc.

+1 You would have a lot of re-plugging/mic shifting to do. You will get yourself a "foldback" monitoring nightmare to rig. Time will dissolve out from under you. As Steen' intimated above, it takes considerable musicianship to play well against a backing track. Then, vocalists for instance have only a few top performances in them on any given day...afternoon...night...."Shit! Gotta go to work!"

Certainly the tyro in his/her bedroom builds tracks this way but...
1) They have no other choice.
2) They have for fekkin' ever!

Dave.

Back