Recording with us1800

Mr. C

I want to record two guitars and a vocalist with my us1800. What would be the best way to do this?

I would like to record all at once but I'm concerned that the vocals and guitars will bleed into each other (but maybe I shouldn't be concerned about that?). We are working on our own material so I want to start getting some of this recorded. I know how to actually record, so I guess I'm asking if there is anything I should keep in mind or pay attention to when setting up the amps and the vocalist.

Wow man, You have been here way longer than I, and this is such a vague question, I am not sure how it is possible to answer without a ton of questions....

What mics do you have available? Dynamic mics for each the vocal, and the two guitar tracks would be the best bet to keep input tracks as separate as possible if in the same room. What genre are you playing? Are the amps cranked for high gain tones or is this an acoustic kind of thing? Do you need to record in the same room? Is it just two guitars and vocals? No drum track or click track? Is the vocalist a separate musician from guitar players? Do you have separate tracking rooms? Ability to use headphones to monitor? Vegan or pagan? Paper or plastic?

I am not sure anyone can answer this without more description of what it is you are planning on recording. :)

I might have been on here longer but haven't recorded anything other than just me. I have no expertise in recording.

In answer to you last question, paper?. We are eclectic in our music. Some of our songs require high gain amps and others lean more toward clean amp tones. The vocalist is a female who doesn't play an instrument. I have two AKG D 8000 mics, just cheapies. I think our singer might have one or two SM57's that we could use. My set up is in my basement so we would probably be in the same room. We don't have a drummer but I could probably set up a click track. I only have the headphones on the us1800 available to monitor. I realize that this is not an optimum set up, but your questions at least help. I just want to get some songs recorded.

I might have been on here longer but haven't recorded anything other than just me. I have no expertise in recording.

In answer to you last question, paper��. We are eclectic in our music. Some of our songs require high gain amps and others lean more toward clean amp tones. The vocalist is a female who doesn't play an instrument. I have two AKG D 8000 mics, just cheapies. I think our singer might have one or two SM57's that we could use. My set up is in my basement so we would probably be in the same room. We don't have a drummer but I could probably set up a click track. I only have the headphones on the us1800 available to monitor. I realize that this is not an optimum set up, but your questions at least help. I just want to get some songs recorded.

Ok, so you are not a tree hugger. lol

At least you have dynamic mics for recording. That will help.

Your first issue is going to be the bleed through. You will want to either run the guitar amps at low volume (if possible to achieve desired tone) or at least attempt to isolate them in some way. At least point the speakers away from the vocal mic and possibly cover the amps with blankets or create some type of barrier between them and the vocal mic.

Ideally, you would record everything separately, but I understand the desire to record together. The click track is a good idea, but you can also create a drum track to play with as well. Are you using Cubase LE that came with the interface or another DAW? Also, how are you splitting the signal from the 1800 headphone out? It is not a very loud output to begin with, and using a simple 'Y' splitter will lower that even more. I doubt you will be able to split twice for 3 headphones. Not even sure that won't damage the unit... A $40 headphone amp will help here. On the super cheap, you could try connecting the main outs to a typical stereo receiver and use the headphone out on that as well as a splitter on the 1800 headphone out to get three headphone hook ups.

I was actually thinking that I could cover the amps with blankets. The area available isn't just one big square room, there is a bathroom that juts out from one wall so maybe I could put the amps on either side of that to isolate them somewhat and the vocalist some distance away.

I am using the Cubase LE program that came with the us1800. As far as the drum track not sure about that since none of us play drums. It would be nice if I could get this friend of mine to come over and lay down a drum track, but he's so busy that's probably not going to happen.

I was thinking maybe I could borrow a headphone amp from my church so I'll check into that. They are using in-ear monitors now so I don't think they are using it.

Thanks for the help. I knew you would probably answer this question since you've helped me out before. I appreciate it.

I will always be here to help you brother. You just need to ask direct questions. :)

Open up an instrument channel. Project>Add Track>Instrument... Select HalionOne from the drop down menu. Load a preset that has a drum kit in it. You will now have to select the 'pencil' tool. Draw an 'Event' on the track by holding 'left click' and dragging across the project window display. Now you can program a drum beat, or whatever you need to create a song.

I know, that all sounds vague. I can walk you through it if you need. All of this info is available via searching YouTube videos and the manual, but honestly, the manual never gives direct 'how to' instructions. It really only makes sense once you already know what you are doing.

Feel free to ask more questions here after playing with what you have learned. :)

Hey Jimmy, messed around with this a bit. I was ready to record last Tuesday night, or so I thought. I had the amps somewhat separated and the vocal bit from us guitarists, a triangle shaped set up. The mics were picking up the amps so I'll have to look at that a bit more, or just not worry about it. We didn't actually record because I couldn't get the vocal mic to work. Stupid me, I didn't realize the preamp for that mic wasn't turned on!

Anyways I did get things all set up on Cubase so next time we can just hit record and play.

I did what you said with the HalionOne, but I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I tried to look up some stuff but it all seems so vague to me. I just realized the other night that I have an electronic drum set that some kid left at our house and I think that has programmed drums on it. Would something like that work?

Last edited:
Have you thought about the 3 recording as a group and then overdubbing the vocals? The bleed between amps will be minimal. However bleed in a vocal mic will be problematic. If you wind up gating, comping or heavily compressing the vocals you will hear changes in the levels of the guitars.

JG, that wouldn't be a bad idea. I've been trying to get a good take of me playing but keep screwing up. I think it's because I've been sitting while recording and I always stand while playing, even when practicing. At least with my electrics anyways. So I might take a shot at that.

Back