recording with roland cube amp

nimra

My Roland Cube 15w amp has a RECORDING OUT (1/4 inch). Is there any way I can record from my amp by plugging it to my sound card, and get the sound I usually hear from my amp (distorted metal sound)?

I've tried recording it to Mixcraft (i used a stereo cable, it might be the problem) but the result is really noisy stuff.

It's most likely a line-level output, so you'll want to send that to a line input on your audio interface and not a microphone input. The mic inputs will have a preamplifier on them, and the recording output on your Cube already goes through the amp's preamplifier. Going through more than one preamplifier is a recipe for excessive noise.

Honestly though I'd be willing to bet that micing up the amp will yield better results than recording it direct. There's just something that I find unpleasant about direct recorded distorted guitar tones.

Is there any way I can record from my amp by plugging it to my sound card, and get the sound I usually hear from my amp (distorted metal sound)?

If you had looked in the manual (yes, it's on available on-line too) it shows how to hook a Cube up to an interface or mixer. With pictures.
Yes it's just a line-level out.

You will only get the sound of the amp's pre-amp and fx. Much of the sound of an amp is the speaker and box, so a mic is always a better solution (although you can use convolution plugins to simulate it)

Going direct is certainly do-able though, especially if you can't wail for neighbors or if you're in a crappy room.

I do have a manual, but it only says "When Using RECORDING OUT
Use mono 1/4" phone plugs when
connecting to this jack.
Volume level of RECORDING OUT can be
easily adjusted if you set the VOLUME " and thats it.

If you could give me the link to the manual with more information? Thank you

Back