Recording with POD

Mr T

I have a POD Version 2.0. Even although I'm happy with some of the sounds, everytime I try and record to either my PC or Roland VS1680 I seem to get hiss in the background. I'm have one lead from the left (mono) output on the POD to the gtr (HZ) input on the VS 1680. Has anyone else experienced the same problems whilst recording with it? or am doing something wrong?

I record with a POD Pro all the time and I don't get much noise at all. Level matching could be the issue. Make sure the output of the POD is as high as you can go before the inputs overload and distort. If there are trim pots or pads on the mixer, use those to trim the input and still run the POD hot as possible.

Futurestar is right. Don't plug the POD into a high-z input. Plug it into a line input. That would be any channel with a 1/4" jack, not XLR. Although that works, I've had my best luck moving air. I plug the POD into a noise gate, then into a power amp, then a Marshall cab, and mic it up like any other amp. A high-z input is for a guitar to be plugged in directly. The POD changes the signal to line level, like a DI box.-Richie

Actually most XLR inputs are low impedance and most 1/4 inputs are high iimpedance inputs (usually targeted towards line devices). Some boards and recorders also have insert connections which bypass the mic preamp, which can be even better.

The POD will work best with connected to a line level inputs with the POD output knobs set to max. That combination yields the best sound and least noise. Section 3.2 of the POD manual outlines this process in detail.

Ed

Last edited:
Back