Recording with more than one computer

I'm fairly new to home recording. I have a big set and I need about 12 mics or more to get the set covered efficiently. I was looking at a few of the firewire kits and most of them have around 10 inputs (maybe you guys know of a better way?) which is not enough. I would have to combine some mics with my analog mixer. I was wondering if anyone here has bought two firewire boxes, set up two computers and recorded simultaneously, then combined the two events later? This would theoretically allow me to go with less input on each firewire and possibly lose less data in the transfer.

Can it be done? Can I use three computers? P4s are cheap these days.

I'm fairly new to home recording. I have a big set and I need about 12 mics or more to get the set covered efficiently. I was looking at a few of the firewire kits and most of them have around 10 inputs (maybe you guys know of a better way?) which is not enough. I would have to combine some mics with my analog mixer. I was wondering if anyone here has bought two firewire boxes, set up two computers and recorded simultaneously, then combined the two events later? This would theoretically allow me to go with less input on each firewire and possibly lose less data in the transfer.

Can it be done? Can I use three computers? P4s are cheap these days.

You can daisy-chain some of the firewire interfaces to double the inputs. I have a Firepod. All I need is one, but if I wanted, I could get 1 or 2 more and have all those inputs. One computer, lots of inputs.

You can daisy-chain some of the firewire interfaces to double the inputs. I have a Firepod. All I need is one, but if I wanted, I could get 1 or 2 more and have all those inputs. One computer, lots of inputs.

+1

Much easier to get 2 devices that can daisy chain (or have the ability to use external mic pres) than deal with the headache of running 2 DAWs, combining data, etc.

Back