Recording with effects question

As is so often said in here, there are no absolute rules.

I guess the thing for me is that, unless you've thought about it and have a specific and considered reason to record WITH effects, you're generally safer not to because a dry recording preserves all the options. Tracks with effects on them box you into a corner. If you're absolutely sure you want to be in that corner, go for it--but think it through in advance and know what you're doing.

As is so often said in here, there are no absolute rules.

I prefer to think of it as in Music Theory... The professors lay down ALL these laws and rules to never break, and then show you how Beethoven and Mozart gave them the finger, and how you can go about doing the same.

The professors lay down ALL these laws and rules to never break, and then show you how Beethoven and Mozart gave them the finger, and how you can go about doing the same.
That's why recording process in the second half of the 60s seems so revolutionary. In a way, it wasn't really. Alot of it was curiosity mixed with common sense mixed with the obvious.
By the early 60s, studio staff had found good ways of getting the sounds they were recording and to this day, they've endured. The problem was they became viewed as unshakable rules. For instance, they used to get a fair drum sound with one or two mikes, always at a distance. Close miking was thought to overload and cause distortion so it was frowned upon. I'm amazed it took until 1966 to change that, but studios had their practices I guess.
I'd never go as far as to say there are no rules - I'd go as far as to say that every rule has alternatives and ultimately, the end user {whom all this is done in service for} doesn't care a jot so do what you gotta do - just make good songs in good recordings !

Great Thread,
I'm on both sides. Sometimes, you need the effects for the performance. Try playing the lead to "The Wall" dry lol

I use outboard gear for guitar so I typically record like I am live. Vocals though, I record completely dry and add later. It's hard to Melodyne a vocal that has lots of effects.

That's a different argument though Washburn. I frequently put effects on the headphone mix but still record dry. (That's the voice I'm talking about--if I was recording David Gilmour playing guitar, I'd record whatever he gave me!)

or for Moresound:

C'est un argument différent bien que Washburn. Très souvent, je mets effets sur le mixage casque mais toujours enregistrer sécher. (Que de la voix je parle de- -si j'étais l'enregistrement David Gilmour jouant de la guitare, j'aimerais enregistrer tout ce qu'il m'a donné !)

That's a good point Bobbsy,
Your comment just made me think, I use a VG99 and have stereo outputs to my interface. But I also have a s/pdif out that I could run to my interface completely dry and fart around with it if I want. Thanks, just didn't even think of that.

I have read the manual and figured out how to record dry. but cannot get the Changing the destination Insert Effects are Connected idea to work.

I need some help in adding effects AFTER the dry recording is done.

help please....

Start your own thread my man, and include such basic information as ... "what manual?" and I'm sure someone will be able to help...

Back