Recording With Audacity

Walt-Dogg

I'm recording with Audacity on my computer through a Sunn SPL-2212 mixer plugged into the 1/8'' Line In jack on the back of my computer.

So the the deal is, when I record one track, or a couple track together, it gets recorded just fine. But when I go back to record another track I get a delay in between tracks, the second one is about a second (or maybe a bit less) behind the first track. Should I use a different input on my computer? (I have another Line in and two microphone inputs) or should I change softwares?

It's called latency. It takes time for your computer to process the signals so you get a lag. Internal soundcard is the biggest problem. You should look at getting an audio interface rather than using the internal soundcard. With an inteface you can do direct monitoring which basically means the sound you hear comes from the interface not throught the computer, so the latency is effictively removed.

But to try to solve the problem with what you have, do some googling on latency and you will find some solutions. You may get less latency, but will always have some delay.

Sorry, I also should have said, it can be lessened with settings in Audacity. You want to lower the buffer setting as low as you can until the audio starts to pop and crack. That's the trade off. Too low of buffers and you get audio playback problems (pops, dropouts, stutters). Too high of buffers and you get more latency or lag. You have to find what your computer can handle.

Thanks.

I'll check it out next time I head into my garage and mess around.

EDIT: How does one go about changing the buffer settings?

Last edited:
Still using a built-in soundcard?? Unfortunately, those are made with less than $1 worth of chips for beeps, boops and light gaming (not to mention cheapness for the manufacturer) and NOT quality music production. You REALLY REALLY want an ASIO-driver'ed 24-bit soundcard and they're not that expensive.

#1 Rule of Recording: You MUST replace the built-in soundcard.

Here's a good guide and tested suggestions that WORK: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm
(you'll want to bookmark and read through all of Tweak's Guide while you're there...)

Another good article: Choosing an audio interface - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/audiointerfaces.htm

Haha, well I'm just doing some semi-lo-fi shit with a couple of mics and a 1970's Sunn SPL-2212. But I'll look into getting a new soundcard as it's a good idea.

Back when I still used Audacity as my primary recording software (get Reaper!), I realized that the latency is extremely consistent. Every new track was .2 seconds behind the others.

If you want to keep using Audacity, just turn of input monitoring and get used to chopping of the first second or so of each new track.

You'll still want a different interface though.

Back