recording with a JCM 200 DSL w/ a&b cabs

calmlikeabom

ok i have pc recording station setup in our 15x15 insulated rehersal space..

using the delta 44

cool edit pro

mics:
2 sm57's
1 ocktavia mk219
1 beta 57a
1 beta 58

amps:
marshall JCM 200 DSL
1960's a
1960's b

recording threw a custom ibanez guitar with EMG pickups etc im having problems getting that studio feel and sound in the mix. my drums were recorded live in the same room and sound great. any EQ settings i shou7ld use mic placement and what mic to use? we also have a digitech Effects proceesor running the distortion.. unless theres a way u guys can let me figure out how to get a real heavy distortion to come threw this thing, i beleive its half step but it might be tuned to C im tryin to get a great sound and i think thats pretty reasonable with the equipment i have, so if you could guys please let me know what i can do.

besides getting that great sound im having a prblem everytime a note is muted and the amp puts out a nice OOOMPH sound and it sounds really badd in the recording. somethin like pantera or maybee the sound like on metallicas and justice for all would be great for our sound.

It seems to me like that equipment should result in a kick-ass tone. The SM57 really should do for what you want. Put it close to one of the speakers (a few inches away) and aim it a little above the cone. That's what I always do. If you want less bass, either move the mic farther away from the cab or cut the lows on the amp (I'd probably move the mic first). Mess with the settings on the amp; sometimes what sounds good live won't work on recordings. Are you using the Marshall's distortion at all? I'm not familiar with the DSL; I just have one of the Valvestate 2000 heads. Its distortion sounds great, though. To go heavier, try front-loading it: overdrive the amp and put a distortion pedal in front of it. Keep in mind, though, that typically less distortion is necessary on recordings than people think. Have you tried doubling the part? Record it twice, and pan one part hard left and the other one hard right. Maybe post a sample or something, if you need more help.

are you talking about the amp making a muddy breathingn sound when you palm mute? If you are..... this has been discussed either on this site or prosounds and i remember someone saying that those cabs are known for that........ you might want to borrow a 1960 lead instead of a 1960 vintage cab...........or maybe try the the open back 2-12 jcm200 tsl cab.........i just bought it and it seems to be able to get a good chunky sound w/out getting muddy.....I never thought i would buy an open back cab, but i really think it sounds better than the 1960 vintage.......but i didn't compare it to a 1960 lead........the 1960 lead isn't supposed to have as much trouble with muddying up.

also.....unless you're playing deathmetal, your amp will give you all the distortion you need w/out a pedal........and amp distortion sounds alot better than a pedal......especially on recordings.......pedals just seem to thin your tone down ........and amp distortion doesn't.

I've heard a lot of people talk about how they don't like the distortion on their amp. That shouldn't be the case. that probably means that you need new tubes. one of my friends is the perfect example of this: He had some ibanez distortion pedal and absolutely loved it.......he hated his amps distortion........then his tubes went out.......he bought new ones with some help from the store staff...they told him which ones would give him more saturation and then he put them in and just for fun, he tried his amps distortion........He now hates distortion pedals and if someone mentions a distortion pedal, he will completely go off on how you shouldn't have to use distortion pedals.......that you should just get a good amp. He plays deathmetal and doesn't use a distortion pedal.

if you want a lot of saturation get some groove tube power tubes that have a low number........like say your amp has 7's in it.......try 5's or maybe even lower.

hmmm he is using his distortion he made on the digitech processor using the amps clean chan. he has new tubes.. anything else?

Man...you'd have to be crazy to pay for a nice Marshall head and then go and use a pedal distortion. Have him try the amp's distortion. Front-load it if you have to, but you shouldn't have to.

just turn your gain all the way up for metal..........lots of people mid scoop too much also......i used to do that cause i thought that was what everyone did.......I had my high and lows all the way up with no mids....then my friend was using my amp and turned the mids up to about 5 or 6 and the highs down a bit......and i noticed my sound got a ton better. i use a rivera knucklehead though.....but i believe the distortion channel in it is supposed to be similar to your guitarists amp.......so here's my settings for real saturated stuff.........gain all the way up.......then the lows are at about 8 (u may want more), mids are about 5 or 6........and highs are at 7....... the guitar will also stick out more with your mids up.

and like i said......if that's not saturated enough for him.......have him get new power tubes.......any brand will do.....but groove tubes are probably the easiest to find and many consider them to be the best.... and get a real low number........the lower the #, the sooner they distort.

thanks a ton! i used your settings with a lil more mids and it sounds great on recording! wahoo iwill post once i mix and stuff! thnx guys! and i also used a sm57 on the A and B cab

Back