Recording Vox Without Headphones?

Dibidoolandas

I've always found I'm very reliant upon my ears when I'm singing - I need to be able to hear every little nuance of my voice to really give a good performance, in my opinion. Because of this, I've always had a problem singing into the mic with headphones on. I usually take one ear off, but it's still awkward to me. So I was wondering if anyone has recorded vox, or anything for that matter, without headphones? Maybe playing the track from distant, quiet speakers?

Obviously there'd be bleed from this, but if it's what's playing in the track would it really be that noticeable? Also I tend to use a large diaphragm condenser for vocals - I think those have more of a capacity to pick up room noise so if I go this route should I use, say, my SM58?

You could use the 58. The bleed would be minimal if you faced the mike away from the speakers. But you might run into the catch 22 of not being able to hear the backing tracks properly and in order to do so, turn them up with the risk of awkward bleed. #
Try it and see if it works for you. It's the only way you'll ever find out.

A better solution would be to give yourself a headphone mix that you can hear and work with, sounds like maybe you're just putting the backing through the cans?

A better solution would be to give yourself a headphone mix that you can hear and work with, sounds like maybe you're just putting the backing through the cans?

Hm, not quite sure what you mean. Do you just mean remixing the background tracks in such a way that it's easier to hear myself with headphones on?

I think the main issue is just having anything covering my ears. I know it's kind of a weird issue... Unless that's not what you're talking about.

I was meaning making sure your vocal is added to the headphone mix - some people just have the backing track in the phones and it makes it difficult to hear what you are doing.
I agree with Grim recording with a speaker mix will give you a new set of problems.

Back