Recording vox-the basics.

MonkeyShock

Could someone please post a link, or the steps one should take to get a decent vocal recording? Including when to add effects, compression, denoising, etc. I can't find a related previous post in the archives.
The vocalist and I use the same recording program but different soundcards.
Could this be the reason we are having difficulty in mixing? The vocalist is using an upper-end soundblaster card. When she sends the vox tracks and I import, I have to denoise and sometimes triple the track to get the level close...usually giving me distortion or artifacts. I don't know if using the same soundcard would help. I'm using the M-audio 2496 with good results for the music. We work online as we're in different parts of the country.
Suggestions please, and the basics for vocal recording? Thank you!
This is what we're getting...HELP!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/coldcomfortusmusic.htm

Yo Electrified Tree-climber:

I'll just pass along some ideas that may help you get decent vocals.

1. A decent mic pre will give you a good signal. You can route the mic pre signal into an RNC and just push the "magic" button on the RNC or twiddle the dials.
OR, you can mess with compression later.

2. Give the vocalist reverb in the cans if you are doing the recording. Add vocal reverb when you mix to stereo tracks for CD burning. Same goes for EQ. Don't over push EQ but sometimes it helps with vocal clarity.

There are a couple of points of view of those who make records. Usually, the "BEAT" or thump of the song dominates because that's what is important. Not so for me. I like the vocalist up front.

An example of the "older" point of view? Listen to almost any Sinatra tune and he is ALWAYS up front--great engineering job. Same is true with Striesand [sp] and other great voices.

You need to tinker with reverb rooms and see what comes out best to make the vocal clear. A vocalist needs to articulate, like over-stress certain consonants, like the "T" which will aid in clarity.

A good example of BAD articulation--watch and listen to a CSI tv episode, the one with Horatio--the blond who has a staring role seems to have a mouth full of mush when she does her lines. Yet, Horatio is always clear. Why is that? My guess, the blonde has terrible articulation.

Then, there is the amount of time you are willing to spend mixing. I have taken a good friend's vocals, a professional entertainer who has great mic savvy and articulation and worked them over and over and over. You can toss the bad cuts but you will really enjoy those cuts that make your ears happy, as well as most listeners' ears.

Green Hornet :D :cool: :cool: :D

Emerald hued flying insect...

I re read your post (missed some things on first read).
I believe she is plugging direct to soundcard. She has a mixer of some kind she is setting up to run through first. I offered a (Aaargh) spare Behringer mixer with 2 mic pre's I have, but she doesn't think she needs it. Can you suggest a mic pre that she can find at (Aaargh) Guit Center that will get us by for a while (not too expensive)? Thank you for your help and suggestions. You brought up a good point about what is out front in the mix. I guess the singer and I should discuss that a bit. Ya gotta go with the vocals I think eh?
Boy, that Horatio eh? Whaddya gonna do? I love that show.

bit pricey....try a rane ms1b. used in lots of studios.
cheaper..but very very good...dmp3
but i'm not sure how much benefit she will hear if using
a sb card which does not have very good convertors
for the a to d processing. she might consider a better sound card BEFORE
anything else, and trying out your mixer offering. thats what i would do ,
then later consider a good preamp.
peace

:D Yo Tazered Monkey:

Suggestion: Why not go to the GC and rent a decent mic pre for a week or two or whatever--just add the cost on to HER bill, "unless you have other arrangements?"

I like the Grace 101 I use--it isn't really expensive now but it isn't really low budget either--has only one out though--depends on your needs.

The Green Hued One :D :p :p :p

Thanks y'all

We appreciate the suggestions people, thank you. The singer (Angy) is working on her system and eeeeeeenunciation, and I'm gonna see to it that she gets a better soundcard...at least a Delta 2496. Think I'll go ahead and send the Behringer mixer too, though she just installed hers yesterday.
In the future I will send her disks of the songs in wav form. We think that the multiple test sends online may be degrading the content and a contributing factor. Hope to post something in the mp3 mixing clinic as soon as we get things worked out to our satisfaction. Once again, thanks too all!-J

Back