recording vocals

punkrcker32

where is the best place to record vocals if you dont have a vocal both. and since im working with a firebox to cubase se3 are there any really good vocal programs that will make the vocals sound bright and alive.

There is no replacement for a good treated vocal booth. However, you can record anywhere as long the noise level is low.

Get a good condenser mic, record using Cubase, apply EQ, reverb, compressor (if you need one) and not forgetting a good singer!

Good luck..

mic placement is also capital in the search for the perfect vocal sound. i find the vertical placement to be very important - it can emphasise or hide certain characters of the person's voice.

try moving the mic between the height of the person's nose and their adams apple.

if you're have issues with 'plosives, try moving slightly off-axis.

and of course, just experiment a lot. room treatment is important, but not as important as mic placement. i can get fairly good vocals in my completely untreated bedroom..

Vocal programs that make the vocals sound bright and alive needs vocals with low background noise to fully work with properly. For a quick start, create a partition between the room and its recording "zone". Hang blanklets or something very dense that will deaden the sound.

You could also try propping up a couple of mattresses and record in between them (especially if you're working with a strictly drywalled room)

Have you tried using the SiR (I think that's what It's called) Impulse Response reverb (free vst) - I think cubase comes with o.k. stock plugins though - never tried the reverb

I find that Vocals are a real trick - Here's what I've found to be the best place to start with fixing up vocals to sound decent, even when recorded in crappy rooms - Note that there is no quick way, if any way, to compleley fix a poor source recording. So as off-topic as this might appear - I think it might help. You can use this little trick pretty well universally to 1) find and fix problems and 2) to find solutions to areas in a track that are lacking.

Use an EQ, Set the Q fairly low, but not too low - enough so that it affects maybe 1 entire octave, and sweep accross the entire frequency spectrum at a moderate gain (+6dB) and moderate speed .. you will hear the different tones of each octave sticking out, but you will notice that certain spots stick out FAR more than the rest and make things sound horrid. Those are your problem areas - watch out for circa 250hz - those are your vocal fundamentals (by 250 I mean anything in that octave)

Take the Q up to something middle-of-the-road and narrow in on each of the problem areas one by one - be meticulously careful here - everything will start to stick out, but close listening will reveal that certain areas in the narrow bands stick out further ... once you know where the probelms are, you can start dipping - for problems in the higher half of the spectrum, use a de-esser to clamp the S and Shhh sounds a little)

Once you have the EQ out of the way, pick a reverb and mix to taste - you can try dampening the lows on the re-verb to get it a little brighter sounding without actually boosting the highs - just make sure you have enough of the original singal in there that your vocal track can still be up front in your mix.

Now I don't know what monitoring you are using, but good monitors will make a HUGE difference in your perceptions.

Hey punkrcker, lots of good suggestions so far, but if you are going to "gueilla treat" your space with blankets and matresses and stuff, be sure to really listen to the sound you're getting.... it will be more dead for sure, but you can end up with a sound thats actually worse than when you started, so trust your ears!
If you are limited to your house, one simple thing you can do is walk around and find the room that sounds best on it's own with no treatment, and go from there... in my home a while ago, we were recording a quick demo and having horrible results with trying to create our makeshift 'vocal booth', so we stuck the mic at the end of a carpeted hallway, facing out toward the hall, took the pictures off the wall and had the singer go for it... we totally lucked out! So, it pays to experiment - good luck!

that's a VERY good idea
test your house for sweet spots - I used to have carpeted walls in the basement , but my allergies are terrible :-)

Mahem said:
Use Sonar 4 to record vocals, Very flexible program and a lotta pros use it

Or use whatever program is the most intuitive to you, the program itself is not going to have an effect on whether or not you get a good vocal sound.

Back