Recording Vocals + Guitar W/ One Microphone (AT2020)

RyanRosario

Hello everyone! I have a few questions!

1) When recording with your voice and guitar at the same time, in your recording software, should you create only one track for both of these? Or do you create two?

2) In live recording performances, does a producer ever add any effects at all to their voice at all after the finished take? Not like auto tune or anything BIG like that, but maybe something like normalization or something? Would that defeat the purpose of it being called a live performance?

If anyone very knowledgeable on this can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you very much!!!

If you have only a single microphone, you can only record one track. The bigger question is why you're recording voice and guitar at the same time with the microphone. Depending upon what you're trying to achieve, it's not the optimal way. Anything stopping you doing one at a time?

Well, if you only have a single track, you can't add things to your "voice" as your voice and your guitar are on the same track and whatever you add to that track will affect both. All performances are "live" performances... What are you doing? What are you trying to do?

At it's simplest you might add some reverb, might do some EQing, might do some compressing... not all of these are considered "effects".... but if you're trying to capture a "live" performance, as in before an audience in a venue, then you'd certainly never rule out the second two, but probably wouldn't need to worry about the first. But what sort of performance is "live" in your thinking?

You might put the whole thing through a Boss distortion pedal if you felt like it and that was the sound you're after.

I think you need to think about your question a bit more - be more exact.... more information.

As above, you will get much better results recording your vocals and guitar tracks individually, (One at a time) and then you can manipulate the sound of each track without effecting the other.

If you're not confident enough to record the tracks separately, you could record yourself playing and singing (Scratch track) and then on new tracks over dub guitar and vocals and then remove the scratch track. Play to a click, keep yourself in time. That opens up the possibilities of further editing of the tracks and re-doing parts without having to re-record the whole song again. If you fluff a chord up you can copy it over from another part of the song, etc.

You have the ability to multi-track, why waste it?

Unless you want live live feel. Spend plenty of time getting your mic position balanced for both vocal and guitar. Too much of one or the other and it's screwed. You won't be able to tame the louder without effecting the other.

If you have only a single microphone, you can only record one track. The bigger question is why you're recording voice and guitar at the same time with the microphone. Depending upon what you're trying to achieve, it's not the optimal way. Anything stopping you doing one at a time?

Well, if you only have a single track, you can't add things to your "voice" as your voice and your guitar are on the same track and whatever you add to that track will affect both. All performances are "live" performances... What are you doing? What are you trying to do?

At it's simplest you might add some reverb, might do some EQing, might do some compressing... not all of these are considered "effects".... but if you're trying to capture a "live" performance, as in before an audience in a venue, then you'd certainly never rule out the second two, but probably wouldn't need to worry about the first. But what sort of performance is "live" in your thinking?

You might put the whole thing through a Boss distortion pedal if you felt like it and that was the sound you're after.

I think you need to think about your question a bit more - be more exact.... more information.

Well the thing is, I'm flat out broke. I only have one USB mic and an acoustic guitar. The guitar isn't acoustic electric, so I can't plug it into anything. Is it highly recommended to have one mic for the guitar and one mic for my vocals? If so, what's the point when I don't have an acoustic ELECTRIC guitar for me to plug into any audio interface of some sort? The mic that would be directed right next to the guitar would just end up picking up my voice as well right?

Oh and I'm talking about not live in front of other people. I'm talking about covering on youtube as a live cover of a song if you get what I mean. EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXqacrO9BPI
And in that link with that girl, would you say she added any effects or whatever they're called? My ear can't really sense that, so if you can pick up anything, just let me know!

I'm just having my start as a new guy and wanted to know a few things when I cover LIVE COVERS instead of making a studio version (EX Of Studio Cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZs5IipPs54) with requirements of mixing and mastering and such.

Sorry for not being specific enough. I tried to go more in detail, but if you still need more clarification in any of this, please let me know!

Thanks for your answers guys! As you can see, I'm a HUGE HUGE NOOB just starting off into this whole recording thing. I hope you guys can bare the stupid questions haha

As above, you will get much better results recording your vocals and guitar tracks individually, (One at a time) and then you can manipulate the sound of each track without effecting the other.

If you're not confident enough to record the tracks separately, you could record yourself playing and singing (Scratch track) and then on new tracks over dub guitar and vocals and then remove the scratch track. Play to a click, keep yourself in time. That opens up the possibilities of further editing of the tracks and re-doing parts without having to re-record the whole song again. If you fluff a chord up you can copy it over from another part of the song, etc.

You have the ability to multi-track, why waste it?

Unless you want live live feel. Spend plenty of time getting your mic position balanced for both vocal and guitar. Too much of one or the other and it's screwed. You won't be able to tame the louder without effecting the other.

Oh I just wanted to know the proper way to record with just one mic w/ an acoustic guitar and my voice. I'm not going to be recording separately since I'm going to be doing covers on youtube. But for sure that's an amazing point and idea you brought up for another purpose if I wanted to make a studio acoustic version cover of a song I do. In that case requiring proper mixing and mastering of course!

Thank you for the advice on mic position. I for sure will keep this in mind my friend!

I think you need to do some reading! What the others were talking about is FIRST recording your guitar onto one track. Then going back and SECOND recording your vocals on another track. Then you can FX/EQ/reverb on each track separately and mix them together.

I'm not going to be recording separately since I'm going to be doing covers on youtube.
I think he understood what others were saying just fine. He's explaining why he can't/won't do that. He's making Youtube videos "live".

OK- It's live. There are no rules. There are only tendencies and guidelines. I was trying to lay down a guide track, basic acoustic and vocal, and I needed it in a hurry for overdub people. And, damnit!, I just couldn't play the thing without singing! Yeah, I know- mental block. Need better chops. Anyway, I *plugged* the acoustic into a preamp (not generally recommended for recording- use mics) direct, and got the guitar track, then overdubbed the voice. I figured I'd mic it up pretty later after I worked on those chops, but damn! The mixing engineer listened and said, Why re-record that? It's fine! For anyone who cares, I used a Taylor 714CE with a Fishman Matrix stereo blender into a Joemeek twinQ, pre-EQ'd like a mother.

OK- one mic. If you are going to do that, mic placement is everything, and a good room is really important. Every player and singer has a balance, and separate mics/pickups are used for the nice guy with the board to smooth out those balance issues, as well as control tone with EQ. Other effects may be applied, usually reverb or delay, and occasionally compression. Later, in the mixdown stage, additional compression or EQ, noise reduction, etc., may or may not be added, according to the mixing engineer's preference. Is it still "live" if you cleaned up some noise? In my mind, yes. But- do we want to add "Cathedral" reverb, and make the guy sound like an Irish folk singer? Maybe not. I've run into similar issues recording choirs, when the director wants that fakey reverb sound.

Find the place, and the direction the mic is pointing, where the balance between the instrument and the voice sounds best to you when played back on speakers. That's called the "sweet spot". It's the holy grail, and I'll warrant many of us here have been seeking it for many years.

The short form- One mic is the wrong way to do it. I'd use 2 mics, accept that there will be "bleed", embrace the bleed, and just do it. Not all bleed is bad. It can often help to present a more realistic stereo model than totally discrete tracks. After all, what do you hear in one ear that you don't hear at all in the other? Answer-Something in headphones *that isn't real*. If the balance is already pretty good between voice and instrument, you can use spaced stereo, ORTF, coincident (X-Y) or other methods. Whether you put the two mics close on vocals and guitar, or use more distant forms of stereo recording, IMHO, you need 2 mics. You're not getting the answer you want because one mic is suboptimal. You have 2 ears. Start by training them to know a good room from a bad one, and find a good room to do it in.

P.S.- If you don't have the hardware/software, etc. to get 2 channels, find a way to get it. You need a 2 channel interface, 2 mics, and some software. Just do it. Resistance is futile. Good Luck.

A live capture for youtube using one mic is all going to come down to mic placement. Lots of experimenting with distance, angle to the guitar, playing and singing techniques, etc. You can spend all day until you get what you want. Any effects should be added long after you get a really good take, then I suggest a smidge of reverb and EQ to taste.

Be sure the room you record in sounds good. With what you're doing, that will have a big influence on overall sound.

Have fun.

Okay, rereading I see Richard and Arc said the same things, but still worth repeating.

But why record 'live to youtube' rather than record video and audio, mix, combine the two, and upload? The OP does mention 'recording software'.

But why record 'live to youtube' rather than record video and audio, mix, combine the two, and upload? The OP does mention 'recording software'.
I totally agree with you. But I noticed that OP seemed pretty adamant about not doing that for some reason. He said
I'm not going to be recording separately
It might be a lack of understanding about the process, but he seems pretty set to want to do "live" videos, as in "WYSIWYG".

But now that you mention it, I don't know how or why recording software would enter into the equation.

OK- It's live. There are no rules. There are only tendencies and guidelines. I was trying to lay down a guide track, basic acoustic and vocal, and I needed it in a hurry for overdub people. And, damnit!, I just couldn't play the thing without singing! Yeah, I know- mental block. Need better chops. Anyway, I *plugged* the acoustic into a preamp (not generally recommended for recording- use mics) direct, and got the guitar track, then overdubbed the voice. I figured I'd mic it up pretty later after I worked on those chops, but damn! The mixing engineer listened and said, Why re-record that? It's fine! For anyone who cares, I used a Taylor 714CE with a Fishman Matrix stereo blender into a Joemeek twinQ, pre-EQ'd like a mother.

OK- one mic. If you are going to do that, mic placement is everything, and a good room is really important. Every player and singer has a balance, and separate mics/pickups are used for the nice guy with the board to smooth out those balance issues, as well as control tone with EQ. Other effects may be applied, usually reverb or delay, and occasionally compression. Later, in the mixdown stage, additional compression or EQ, noise reduction, etc., may or may not be added, according to the mixing engineer's preference. Is it still "live" if you cleaned up some noise? In my mind, yes. But- do we want to add "Cathedral" reverb, and make the guy sound like an Irish folk singer? Maybe not. I've run into similar issues recording choirs, when the director wants that fakey reverb sound.

Find the place, and the direction the mic is pointing, where the balance between the instrument and the voice sounds best to you when played back on speakers. That's called the "sweet spot". It's the holy grail, and I'll warrant many of us here have been seeking it for many years.

The short form- One mic is the wrong way to do it. I'd use 2 mics, accept that there will be "bleed", embrace the bleed, and just do it. Not all bleed is bad. It can often help to present a more realistic stereo model than totally discrete tracks. After all, what do you hear in one ear that you don't hear at all in the other? Answer-Something in headphones *that isn't real*. If the balance is already pretty good between voice and instrument, you can use spaced stereo, ORTF, coincident (X-Y) or other methods. Whether you put the two mics close on vocals and guitar, or use more distant forms of stereo recording, IMHO, you need 2 mics. You're not getting the answer you want because one mic is suboptimal. You have 2 ears. Start by training them to know a good room from a bad one, and find a good room to do it in.

P.S.- If you don't have the hardware/software, etc. to get 2 channels, find a way to get it. You need a 2 channel interface, 2 mics, and some software. Just do it. Resistance is futile. Good Luck.

Hey man thanks for the information and advice! I'll definitely try to save up some money for another mic. I actually heard much about a mic called a "Figure 8" Mic that will be very beneficial in the way it works. Anyway, thanks again!

Have you tried recording the vocal and guitar simultaneously yet? Using one mic can probably work as the mic can pickup the guitar as well as your voice. Maybe not the best, but will work. Experiment with mic position and distance to get what you think sounds best, favoring a position towards your voice to find a good balance of vocal and guitar. Perhaps the only "effect" might be just a slight bit of reverb added after you record dry.
Best way to figure this stuff out is sit down, dive in, and try different things. Make a recording and post it on the forum for comment and see if some suggestions can be made for improvement if needed.

For now this is what I'll be doing. Using one mic til I can afford two. Alright I'll be sure to keep in mind to put in a bit of reverb in my acoustic covers! Thanks buddy!

A live capture for youtube using one mic is all going to come down to mic placement. Lots of experimenting with distance, angle to the guitar, playing and singing techniques, etc. You can spend all day until you get what you want. Any effects should be added long after you get a really good take, then I suggest a smidge of reverb and EQ to taste.

Be sure the room you record in sounds good. With what you're doing, that will have a big influence on overall sound.

Have fun.

Okay, rereading I see Richard and Arc said the same things, but still worth repeating.

Yeah I'm sure mic placement is a big thing. I'll focus on that greatly and do a bit of trial and error to further better my recording of such. And yeah I'm getting acoustic treatment (when I can afford) for my room to make sure it's a better environment to sing in. Thank you Chili for your time!

Well I'm not necessarily recording straight up live on youtube while viewers are watching. I'm going to be covering a song with my camera and mic, sync up my video to my mic audio quality, then upload. I'd rather not do it separately because it's more natural to just sing and play guitar at the same time.

I totally agree with you. But I noticed that OP seemed pretty adamant about not doing that for some reason. He said It might be a lack of understanding about the process, but he seems pretty set to want to do "live" videos, as in "WYSIWYG".

But now that you mention it, I don't know how or why recording software would enter into the equation.

Sorry for my failure of understanding, but what does OP stand for? and "WYSIWYG"? If you don't mind me asking.

Here's a great example of a the type of videos I'm going to make. Of course not as high quality and only one camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzeO1JoONDE
for my DAW, I was wondering if any one of you on this forum can hear whether she has any effects such as reverb, normalization, eq, compression, etc.. anything at all. If so, I want to follow that route so I make sure I'm covering my songs appropriately just like them.

Here's another GREAT example (most likely how my videos look). I want to make sure I have everything she's got. If anyone has any advice beside having two mics, I'd greatly appreciate it. Like if she added effects on her voice here (My main question for singers on youtube lol.) If anything else please say!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR YOUR INFORMATION. I'M KEEPING EVERYTHING IN MIND. GOD BLESS!

Sorry for my failure of understanding, but what does OP stand for? and "WYSIWYG"? If you don't mind me asking.
Sorry man. "OP" means "Original post" in this case. It could mean "Original poster" if you're referring to the person that made the "OP". :D

"WYSIWYG" means "What you see is what you get".

:)

Hang on.... we haven't finished!

If he's going to sync up a recorded audio track done live with a video track done live, isn't there something about recording the audio at 48 rather than 44.1? I've never tried this but doesn't it relate to matching frame rates across the different media or something... help me out here someone...:D

Or am I making all this up?:confused:

Sorry man. "OP" means "Original post" in this case. It could mean "Original poster" if you're referring to the person that made the "OP". :D

"WYSIWYG" means "What you see is what you get".

:)

haha alright man! thanks for letting me know!

Hang on.... we haven't finished!

If he's going to sync up a recorded audio track done live with a video track done live, isn't there something about recording the audio at 48 rather than 44.1? I've never tried this but doesn't it relate to matching frame rates across the different media or something... help me out here someone...:D

Or am I making all this up?:confused:

I'm not too sure. I've just done recordings in the past where I would use a condenser usb mic attached to a laptop.. and turn on my iphone. Hook iphone up to laptop and sync up the audio and video in an editing software like: (Adobe Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, iMovie, etc)
You just delete the camera audio and replace it with the mic audio and put everything together.

Back