Recording Vocals - EQ settings

Stress Release

Many people don't have the use of vocal pre amps or even a good condenser mic. For those of us that rely on EQ settings to get the most out of vocals here is the question: How does everyone like to set the EQ's before recording vocals, with pre amps and condenser mics and without but using a decent mic only?
All input is good!!
Thanks

Right away - I don't think it would be a good idea to add EQ before recording. If you're going to do it, do it afterward when you're mixing.

I try to use as little EQ as possible on vocals. I mostly use compression, reverb.

I guess if I was using a shitty mic, I would just try to use EQ to counterbalance whatever shortcomings the mic had, you know?

If you're using EQ to shape it a bit, that's not such a bad thing. Try to be destructive first - Sweep the mids and find "the most irritating tone" and dip it. If you have two bands of parametric, all the better. Find a low mid and a higher mid. Then, maybe add a little air at 10 or 12K.

Don't go too bonkers on it - Make sure that it's getting better before you commit to it. Get it to where it makes a nice difference, then BACK OFF a bit. You can always cut a little more later.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Back