Recording Vocal effects with a guitar pedal

kobra

Hello
I am trying to record onto a 4 track, and all I have left to do is record the vocals. I'm trying to run the mic (using a converter) thru like a chorus, reverb, or similar guitar pedal. Anyone got any advice? Thanks

Running a mic thru pedals will not work well at all (even with a "converter" - by which I assume to mean an in-line transformer)... you're better off running your mic to your board and using the board's AUX send/returns to plug in your pedals.

Also, experimentation is fun, and pedals will give a certain kind of sound which may be appropriate as an effect for some songs, but they will not serve you very well as general-use effect devices, especially on tracks as critical as vocals....

Bruce

Sorry to disagree, but in my 4-track days I used flangers and delay pedals often on vocals and they sounded fine.:) I didn't even use any kind of converter.

"If that's the case, then you and I have very different interpretations of the word "fine"! "

Right on Blue Bear! I did the same thing too with my first four-track. I used whacked out guitar effects on my singer's vocals. And 7 years later, they sound even worse than I remember!

Less vocal effects, the better I say. I'm one who likes to hear the singer's natural vocal when even possible. Give me raw Motown vocals, Bob Dylan, Bono (sometimes).

A lot of today's musicians use effects when it's not even really needed. Technology can go too far in my opinion. Don't worry so much about the effects, if you can't even write a good song.

Don't put your vocals through a guitar pedal.

M.

Heh.

Many moons ago I used the pitch transposing function on an ART SGX2000 tube guitar processor to downtune some vox. I got a nice eerie demonic sound. Even though we were only using cans, when recording the vox, the vocalist caused the ART to feed back, resonate, or something like that when he screamed into it. The sound was so perfect for the song. I don't think I could use any other processor to get such a perfect result.

Point being, if it sounds good use it.

However, guitar effects will generally give the vox a processed sound. If you want good quality realistic vox, use a high end pre/processor.

Matt

When I first started out, that was all I had so I used it. It was fun, and I was learning, and saving up for something better (still am)!

Of course it will work!

Of course it won't sound as good as the "real thing".

Just go for it and have fun!:) :D

Twist

Point of info..

I never said it "wouldn't work" - I simply said it wouldn't work "well" -- meaning it wouldn't be as good sounding as using a 'real' effect box.

I was also advocating experimentation!

Bruce

Back