Recording via Channel Inserts?

DavidHouse

We just purchased a new Behringer board for our church to handle live sound. I would like to record discreet channels but I am not sure the way to do it. Each of the 24 channels has a channel insert plug ( send/return on same wire ). I think I can get a patchbay and just route the send straigt to a recording device ( like an ADAT, or computer interface ). Am I nuts or is there a better way? The board has no Direct Outs at all... :(

Thanks for any input you can give...
David House

Yo Dave:

I suggest you contact Behringer on the net and pose your problem to their techies. If you want a "quick find site" try:

askjeeves.com or www. dogpile. com

Good luck.

Green Hornet

If you really have 24 channels of record capability, yes a patchbay and send/return cables would be one means.
If you want to go cheap, the insert points can function as direct outs by only inserting a 1/4 plug till you feel the first "click". That way you haven't broken the normalling in the insert jack, you're just tapping the channel.
If you only have 8 channels of record, and depending on the Behringer you have (mine is the 3282A). The subgroup outputs might be a better place to get the signal.

I don't know how many aux sends/outputs your mixer has, but you can also use those to record separate channels. Just engage the aux send on the channels you want to send, and then record the output of that aux bus. For example, if you want to just record channel three, turn up that channel's aux1 send, and then record the line out from the aux1 output. If you want to record channel 4 on a different track, just turn up aux2 on channel 4 and record aux2's output on another track, etc. You can also record submixes this way (send multiple channels down the same aux bus).

Ryan

I fired off an email to Behringer today, we will see what they have to say.

Sounds like using the Inserts & Patchbay will be the way to go. The board has 8 aux & 4 stereo stero buses. Of course I could use those, but I can't get 24 channels if I do that. I guess if I was really good I could mix down to some of the sub-groups, but alas, I was kinda hoping to get all 24 channels to my computer then take my time to get the mix right. I am trying to record live stuff, so you can see where I am coming from.

Thanks for all the advice/input...

A patchbay is a lot easier to work with than crawling on your hands and knees underneath and behind all your equpiment. I don't have nearly as many bruises on my head as I use to.

WOW!
I just tried the method Sheehan suggested.(inserting a 1/4 in jack just to the first click of the insert jack.) Then I sent the out straight to my recorder. The signal had plenty of gain and it was so crisp and clear!

I tried this with a condensor mike, and the highs really came through. The phantom power still worked and powered up the mic. But of course the EQ section was not functional, and the fader and bus controls are all out of the circuit.... All this time I was adding noise and coloration to my signals by sending the mic through several levels of pre-amps.

THIS IS A HOT TIP!

Thanks Sheehan.

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

If you are recording while mixing a live performance, Larry's method is the best, inserting the cable half way in. Before you start mixing be sure to use the gain control to get the right amount of signal going to your recorder. Once that is set, you can freely use the faders to mix your live sound. Once you start recording, DO NOT adjust your mic gain unless the signal is clipping your recorder. There is nothing worse than inconsistant volume levels in a recording.
Another tip:
If you are just recording and not mixing live sound, with TRS send-retrun cables, you can insert them fully into the inserts of the board. Connect the sends into the inputs of your recorder and the retruns to its outputs. This will give you the ability to monitor exactly what is going on to tape. In addition, you can play back other tracks previously recorded while doing over-dubs on other tracks without having to reconnect wires.

Back