Recording V-Drum MIDI Data

TetraFish

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice here. I have some songs that I recorded a while ago with only one mono drum track coming from some v-drums. Now I've been exposed to EZ Drummers and the use of 8 discrete drum channels I want to go back and record the drum tracks again using the MIDI data instead of the audio.

The problem is that the original recordings where never recorded using a click so the tempo in Cubase is 120, and of course the songs are anything but that and the tempo drifts a few bpm over the duratation of the song. If I just say damn the tempo and record MIDI will I run into issues, should I try and get the tempo close? I'm just not sure what the best approach is.

There wouldn't be any issues; you'd just be swapping out one track of actual audio with multiple tracks of MIDI which merely represent audio via EZ drummer and the like. There are obvious benefits to having the latter, as you no doubt have realized. You would obviosuly have the ability to quantize the beats if you really want to get them on point, but it sounds like you'd not want to do that if you're trying to sync them with something that's not on point to begin with. You could actually reposition every single note of your perfectly 120'ed MIDI data to match up with your other off-beat tracks, if you had the time and patience.

But issues? No. In fact, you'll be much better off.

Thanks for the reply. We recorded a few tracks yesteday and it worked fine. I was going to try and record the audio and MIDI at the same time but for some reason cubase had a meltdown. The MIDI sounded fine though. I was worried that if the tempo was out it would sound like a drunken monkey did the drumming but like you say it worked fine.

Back