Recording Using the Sony MD Player

bo.monro

ok,

my bro picked up a sony MD player and a microphone. i am really impressed with the quality. but i am running into problems getting the media onto my computer for editing and converting into Mp3 for distribution.

I have the software SonicStage and NetMD Simple Burner (came with the MD player)

i am not sure what i am doing wrong, has anyone else run into these problems?

Only newer MDs allow file transfer of material you have recorded yourself. If you are using an older unit, you have to connect the earphone from the MD to the line in or mic jack (I never remember which) on your sound board, and play the song with recording sofware recording it. (I have used Microsoft's Sound Recorder under the Accessories tab.) (Sony did this to protect us from pirating our own recordings...)

If you need instructions for your MD, check Sony's site for a download, or go to www.minidisc.org.

it's been a looong time since I was fiddling with minidisc recordings, and I also used the method that "onlyfingers" mentioned, don't know if there is a smarter way, but probably not..
It's most likely the line in jack of the soundcard you should hook up the MDplayer to, dunno about sonicstage and all that, but you can catch Audacity for free here on the net, try googling it. This program will record what comes through your lineout, and save it as a mp3.

BTW, have you tried using a stereo-microphone for your minidisc, we used one with ok results, atleast a lot better than simply recording mono..

I believe that we used a mic, that looked a lot like Sony ECM-DS70P..

thanks for the help, ill give that a shot. so do i take it that the newer minidisc players are more user friendly to get stuff onto the comp with?

thanks again

Back