Recording Timbales?

HFR

Has anybody recorded timbales? If so,
What mic do you recommend? How(where) do you put the mic?
Do you have any tips on equalizing timbales? Compressing timbales? Adding effects to timbales? I am looking for anything. thanks

timbales

I've recorded timbales a few times (played them alot). First, remember timbale parts normally make short musical accents, as such they need to cut through the mix. Second, I always approach timbales as a solo instrument - vs. hearing them as a "drum set". Third, timbales are a loud instrument (louder then toms - higher pitch).

That being said, a dynamic mic (I use a SM57) placed 4-5" between the timbales (assuming a set of 2)much like you would mic toms (accept allowing 5" vs 2"). Whenever recording it is best to get your sound without trying to eq, but if you must eq tweak out the low ends to allow for the cutting sound (normally best to remove rather than add eq). With the 5" placement you probably don't need compression (I am one of those who think compression is over used).

Regarding effects, record dry and try to mix dry - again you need the timbales to cut, make a statement and drop out. If you feel you need effects, only add a small amount of a "dry" reverb.

Hope this helps.

Back