Recording the Unfamiliar (and morality)

djhead

Military Intelligence
OK, so i put some ads out on the message boards advertising for cheap recording time, just to get me experience, and I have had about 6-7 hits within 6 hours. Thing is, they are all rappers, and I am not very well versed.
(This was posted on the ads)

Here's my question. What kinds of things can I do to prepare for them, since in essence all we NEED is 4 bars and a condernser mic, which I have got. I have told them to give me some examples of the sound in their head, so I can find similair sounds in my VSTs and samples. Was this a good idea? How much control should I let the client have, and how much input should i be putting in, since i know shit about making rap? (though i did used to make techno)

And I don't think there is a way to say it lightly, so I'll be blunt.
I am a white boy in a poor, mostly black neighborhood. Military or not, I am afraid of getting my shit stolen. Not because of race, but because of poverty levels here. Would it be bad form to bring a friend along as an "assistant"? Or should I not go if I am not comfortable? If thats the case, Ill never get any work done..... Anyway, I more concerned with the first issue....

So?

djhead said:
OK, so i put some ads out on the message boards advertising for cheap recording time, just to get me experience, and I have had about 6-7 hits within 6 hours. Thing is, they are all rappers, and I am not very well versed.
(This was posted on the ads)

Here's my question. What kinds of things can I do to prepare for them, since in essence all we NEED is 4 bars and a condernser mic, which I have got. I have told them to give me some examples of the sound in their head, so I can find similair sounds in my VSTs and samples. Was this a good idea? How much control should I let the client have, and how much input should i be putting in, since i know shit about making rap? (though i did used to make techno)

And I don't think there is a way to say it lightly, so I'll be blunt.
I am a white boy in a poor, mostly black neighborhood. Military or not, I am afraid of getting my shit stolen. Not because of race, but because of poverty levels here. Would it be bad form to bring a friend along as an "assistant"? Or should I not go if I am not comfortable? If thats the case, Ill never get any work done..... Anyway, I more concerned with the first issue....

So?

What kinds of things can you do to prepare for that?
Before you let any random person set foot in your home studio, get to know them first. Set up a collaboration meeting before you do any work with them.

This will help you define the terms of your services as well as give you a chance to feel the artist(s) out. If your gut tells you that the artist might not be who you would feel comfortable with in the studio then don't do it. Refer them to other people who might be a better fit for them.

This also gives you a chance to talk to them and find out who's beats/production that's out in the mainstream that they like and would like to emulate (or at least start out with a basic model). Most artists would just be happy to get a good sound for an affordable price. Also, artists usually don't know near as much about gear as you might so they might not see its true value.

In addition, that can create a bond between you and the artist. Most artists that I've dealt with in the past are happier with being out in the open talking about their music because other people are usually in earshot. That makes them feel important. This can also help bring you new clients.

As far as control, you should let the client have all of the control over the sound. You can make suggestions that they can either go along with or reject completely...you're not their producer, dictating control is a producer's job.

Listen to different styles of rap. Better yet, a good way to learn is to browse through other beat makers that specialize in hip hop and rap. That's what I do. There are countless other people who strictly make beats too, just browse through Soundclick and you'll be able to pick apart the basics of it.

Also, everyone is cautious of their gear. That's why I recommend you feel out artists first. Who knows, you might be glad you met these new artists one way or another.

Hope this helped you out a little bit,
Fieva

It made me feel better. We have a meet at a bar I frequent to set up the groundwork. I perused soundclick for some beat, and its like "Whoah, I can do this!" Just gotta immerse myself in some hip hop and saturate my brain with good sounds. Makes me wish I hadn't sold my TR808, boy could I charge up the ass for that!

djhead said:
It made me feel better. We have a meet at a bar I frequent to set up the groundwork. I perused soundclick for some beat, and its like "Whoah, I can do this!" Just gotta immerse myself in some hip hop and saturate my brain with good sounds. Makes me wish I hadn't sold my TR808, boy could I charge up the ass for that!

Don't Worry, 808's are overused anyway...

all hip-hop/rap tracks dont have to have 808s..they just need a tight(phatt) drumline..

then you will be on your way...take some of you trance song and slow them down and see what you come up with..change a few stuff add in and take stuff out..you might already have a few..

listen to most of the releases now..it not alot of change up in the songs..just make music as you hear it in your head..

bknot1 said:
all hip-hop/rap tracks dont have to have 808s..they just need a tight(phatt) drumline..

then you will be on your way...take some of you trance song and slow them down and see what you come up with..change a few stuff add in and take stuff out..you might already have a few..

listen to most of the releases now..it not alot of change up in the songs..just make music as you hear it in your head..

So you're saying my life long dream of polka-rap-2 step can now be achived?

I would say that if you are worried about your gear I'd make damn sure you don't look like a fool by playing them some shit ass beat. In other words, If you want to be taken seriously; stick to what you know. If they know you don't make beats and they want to work to make a beat with you that's different. But if you think you can just whip up a beat that will make people think you're worth paying money for without knowing rap it will show. With that said though, A sucker is born every minute so you never know... just feel them out before you make yourself a fool. Cause someone will jack a turkey faster than someone they might respect.

mrT said:
I would say that if you are worried about your gear I'd make damn sure you don't look like a fool by playing them some shit ass beat. In other words, If you want to be taken seriously; stick to what you know. If they know you don't make beats and they want to work to make a beat with you that's different. But if you think you can just whip up a beat that will make people think you're worth paying money for without knowing rap it will show. With that said though, A sucker is born every minute so you never know... just feel them out before you make yourself a fool. Cause someone will jack a turkey faster than someone they might respect.

i have a LITTLE too much integrity to try to fake the funk (but only a little)

The rap business is full of hustlers...When you initially meet its all love.. like yall brotheres but let something happen or misunderstanding and it can get ugly........I am not an active gang member,yet i work with active Pirus,and crips...from san diego skyline pirus..to watergate crips,shotgun crip,raymonds,long beach rollin 20 crips,Lynwood neighborhood crip etc etc... most are reptables and a handful are factors.Im almost always solo, and to put it lightly shits like messing with c-4(explosives) if you mis handle it it can blow up in your face,but if handled right its safe as anything....here is a safest way to do it.
First it sounds like they are looking for beats and someone to record them? what happens after that? who keeps the masters? are you gonna be a joint business venture(you and them put out indy project on your label) or are you just gonna sell them some beats,record them and send them on there way.
Its good that you set up a meeting..see where there heads are at,what there goals are,what they are expecting from you.aS FAR AS BEATS i wouldnt have them there while you are making beats...have them name some songs and styles they like and you make a handful from that...then let them pick from that.
Now before any....any work is done write upa business agreement(not no 4 page contract) just a simple overview of services,price, and anything you all feel needs to be in there...like what if this or that happens...all bases should be covered before you start work.
Ive been in situations or seen when rappers said....I thought this,and You said this......have it in writing,this way if there is any misunderstandings you can refer them to the agreement....explain that the agreement isnt jsut for you...but for them as well.Also If you going to be in business ,be professional,and agreements are first steps in that dept.
when its all said and done aint no one out there looking to jack some kid with his computer who is trying to help them out....there are easier ways and bigger pay day in that department.Also be firm and fair dont be a push over stand your ground...i had to make a trip one late night over some fools trippn off this shit...when i showed up at there door..they started stuttering...ther whole attitude changed.Hope some of this has helped...any specific questions feel free to ask

one more time..GET IT IN WRITING

my boy TOP NOTCH said

AND A HANDSHAKE IS AS SAFE AS GRABBIN A HANDFULL OF SNAKES AND SHAKING THEM.

Back