Recording the piano.

PIANOPICTURES

Hello ewerybody! If anybody have ANY ideas about piano recording please write it. . .

I'm going to make some demo recordings on SBLive! and thinking about bying Behringer mx 602a and AKG C1000S. Is it ok choice for $300?
Thank you.

[Edited by PIANOPICTURES on 01-12-2001 at 12:52]

The AKG would be WASTED on the Behringer... search this site for the keyword Behringer and you'll have all the info you need.

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Why you say that Bruce?

I know that Behringer has a bad reputation on ripping off Mackie and producing a much worse version of it but I'm quite happy with the pres of my 602. I've also read the negative comments about it in many parts of this bbs but I needed a small mixer and the Behringer was the only one avaible here (Turkey).

If you want you can listen to the pres here:

It's basically the lineout from my acoustic and a SM57 combined, doesn't sound that bad to me. (no effects or eq on this file)

Oh, BTW...

In the orchestra I gig with we mic the piano (grand) with a SM81 angled towards the mid strings and a boundary mic under the piano. We play almost everything from classical music to funk and the piano sounds great.

Also I've seen many pianos miced with a pair of C1000s and they sounded quite good as well.

And if you don't want to get the Behringer, try to look into the ART tube pres. People love them on this board.

Hope this helped.

Re: Why you say that Bruce?

memo said:
I know that Behringer has a bad reputation on ripping off Mackie and producing a much worse version of it but I'm quite happy with the pres of my 602. I've also read the negative comments about it in many parts of this bbs but I needed a small mixer and the Behringer was the only one avaible here (Turkey).

Well... really harsh mic pres, nasty-sounding EQ, noisy switches - every piece of Behringer gear I've ever come across is prone to ground loop problems.

Bruce

I know that it's not the best but it does the job for me, could you take listen to that file anyway? It was my first try at recording acoustic guitar and I need some opinions, suggestions, etc. :)

The recording is not bad, very usable, but a tad muddy and slightly grainy. Mind you - an MP3 is not the way to distinguish sonic details... so unless you have a comparison sound clip of the same sound recorded thru a decent mic pre, there's no way to tell if the graininess is due to the MP3 compression scheme or the mic pre (or any added EQ/effects).

Forgetting about pres for second, as far as mic'ing - if you want that acoustic guitar "shimmer", you need to use a small-diaphragm condenser on it, with or without the direct pickup (try combinations).

Bruce

If this is just for solo piano and you're thinking of just recording directly into your computer ... I wouldn't go with any mixer. Keep it simple ... keep the signal chain short. Use a good preamp instead. The ART Tube MP is both good and inexpensive.
The C1000S is a good mic ... but not as good as say a Shure SM81 or Oktava MC012 (SRO .. :) ). I've used the Oktava with an omni capsule on piano and the result were excellent.
My thoughts, anyway.

Back