Recording the Not so Common (ram's horn)

Juggernaut

Ok, I found my self of all things recording a ram's horn (yes a ram's horn, you play it quite like a trumpet, exep there are very few notes that can be played) this week, and since this was not the final recording I just sort of pointed an md-421 in its general direction. It came out ok albeit a little thin.

Any suggestions?

Juggernaut said:
Ok, I found my self of all things recording a ram's horn (yes a ram's horn, you play it quite like a trumpet, exep there are very few notes that can be played) this week, and since this was not the final recording I just sort of pointed an md-421 in its general direction. It came out ok albeit a little thin.

Any suggestions?

Ah yes the shofar! Sometimes I blow my didg hard and get a note or two higher than the fundamental, it sounds a lot like a shofar. :)

I think your idea with the MD421 was probably on the right track, but with a dynamic you probably had to get a little closer than "in its general direction". From a distance, an omni condenser should work.

mshilarious said:
Ah yes the shofar! Sometimes I blow my didg hard and get a note or two higher than the fundamental, it sounds a lot like a shofar. :)

I think your idea with the MD421 was probably on the right track, but with a dynamic you probably had to get a little closer than "in its general direction". From a distance, an omni condenser should work.

Sho Far, Sho good?

This is of the small variety of shofars, so it might be its size giving it its thing charactaristics. The mic was about 4-6 inches from the shofar, though it was miced on the side rather than at the hole end of the ram's horn. Shold I try micing the hole end?

And yeah sho far so good you can hear what the track sounds like right now in the MP3 listening clinic under "Monday Afternoon (well blues wouldn't really fit) Probably should't tell you this 'cause now you know one of the instruments. ;)

Juggernaut said:
This is of the small variety of shofars, so it might be its size giving it its thing charactaristics. The mic was about 4-6 inches from the shofar, though it was miced on the side rather than at the hole end of the ram's horn. Shold I try micing the hole end?

Not directly as you might get an unpleasant air blast. If you weren't happy with that I think it's time to move back and try a condenser.

mshilarious said:
Not directly as you might get an unpleasant air blast. If you weren't happy with that I think it's time to move back and try a condenser.

As with any wind instrument, you'll not get an "air blast". If you're getting a sound from it, your lips are tight and not that much air goes through. But, you don't want to point the mic at the horn's "throat" because that's quite a piercing sound (unless you want a piercing sound!).

With a shofar, as with a bugle, you'll not want to mic too closely. Think trumpet or french horn. I would use a ribbon mic if possible, but you should be able to do okay with an MD421.

Some shofarot just have a thin sound, it's what it is. You start getting into some money with the bigger (double- and triple-twist) ones, but they can sound...amazing.

Back