Recording Synth\Drum Machine?

nafai

Hey you recording gurus...

I know there's no set way to record synths and drum machine, but I'm interested in how others are currently doing it. How everything is routed, what devices, etc...

Also helpful would be examples of the kind of sound you get. MP3s or something.

Thanks

The cleanest path I've found is a short cable direct from the synth to the soundcard. Everything else adds some (more) noise so be sure the benefits outweigh the noise before you add anything else to the signal path.
Examples can be found over at the mp3 mixing clinic....

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 01-11-2000).]

1.Synth to line input of mixer

2. Synth to direct box to mixers microphone input- this will help if you cant get a noise free (and if you are getting a low level) signal.

3. Miking a speaker hooked to synth - good for acoustic sounding instruments. It might add realisam to your sound.

4. Combine miked sound with a direct one for an interesting blend.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 01-12-2000).]

Hey Nafai in Longhorn Country:

Just a few comments on how I set up overdubbing which may be what you do with your synth.

A good friend of mine who has been in the music business for years stopped at my studio one day to do a basic cut of a new tune he wanted to send to members of his group. He has had much studio experience in the big time commercial league.

Well, first he did the drum track; then he overdubbed the base line; after that he added chords; then he added solo stuff/horns etc. and finally he added a few more drum parts he punched in through the pads on my drum machine. I did the recording but he judged the levels for each track. That afternoon was worth big bucks because I learned so much. Hope this helps in some way because there are so many ways.

Green Hornet

Thanks for all the feedback...

Interestingly enough I went out last night and picked up an issue of Recording magazine and they had an article that also answered some of my questions.

:)

Back