Recording stereo guitar tracks in ADAT studio. What's the quickest way?

CurtG

My band will be going into a studio equipped with 32 tracks of ADAT and we'll be mixing on an SSL 6056 E/G (!). We'll be re-recording 4-5 songs, but our current budget will require us to work expeditiously. I want to record all the rhythm guitar tracks in stereo, without having to record each track separately (not enough time). Currently on my Roland VS-1680 I have been copying the 1st track to an adjacent track and inserting about 10-20 subframes and then panning L/R to get the separation/stereo spread.

Doesn't ADAT have a track delay function? Can it be used the same way? Can I bounce the track to an adjacent track and delay it? Or do I need to send the rhythm track to a stereo delay and pan the effect L/R?

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

------------------
Peace!
CurtG
http://www.mp3.com/screamsophie

so you dont wanna really record your track in stereo, you just wanna copy an already recorded track..to me, recording in stereo means two mics on the cabinet, recording to two tracks. I'm dont think ADAT's have a "nudge" or "delay" function, but I may be wrong. I think you would get better results if you got your part down pat (read: you can play the whole song with no mistakes) and double track. Or you could stereo mic the cabinet and use a delay on one of the mics. good luck.

Thanks!

Well, after weeks of rehearsing the parts (not to mention they have already been recorded several times), I can assure you I have the parts down. I would love the luxury of being able to double track the parts - but time will not allow.

I had not considered the double mic'ing technique. I am familiar with it, but in this digital age of record, copy, cut, and paste, it escaped me.

The only negative is the setup time. Hopefully the engineer will be able to do this quickly.

Thanks again! Any more thoughts anyone?

How much time do you have? If I were you I'd lay down basic tracks IE guitar in stereo, bass, drums then while the vocals are being laid down lay down another stereo track of your guitars. How many songs and in what time frame are you looking for? You have to allow enough time to mix well. Personally I'd put quality over quantity. If you're looking for a record deal or gigs, then take your best 3 songs, take your time and do them well. Same goes for sales, remeber recording something is there forever. So If needs be cut down the number of songs so they sound really good and it make look like you are a cool guy rock star that has more to offer.

Wallycleaver said:
How much time do you have? If I were you I'd lay down basic tracks IE guitar in stereo, bass, drums then while the vocals are being laid down lay down another stereo track of your guitars. How many songs and in what time frame are you looking for? You have to allow enough time to mix well. Personally I'd put quality over quantity. If you're looking for a record deal or gigs, then take your best 3 songs, take your time and do them well. Same goes for sales, remeber recording something is there forever. So If needs be cut down the number of songs so they sound really good and it make look like you are a cool guy rock star that has more to offer.

This is really Good advice.
Are you trying to get a deal? Because the A&R people normally only want 3 songs.
Also, go read some of Cooperman's Posts concerning recording guitar, and go to the mp3 area (Mp3 Mixing Clinic) and download his song-The Guitar on that Rocks man! It's every bit a pro sound. I was totally blown away by the quality and tone he's got.

His key was 6 guitar tracks, and you lower your Amp's distortion/Gain a little-because of all the tracks it sort of "adds up", and man his guitar sound is really Thick sounding!

Also, Yes The ADAT's have track delay-I think all of the MDM's do.
My only question is why in the heck would anybody that can afford an SSL use ADAT's?
Is the guy using them to Jump to a DAW or Protools?

Just wondering, because from personal experience and friends usage-I've found the ADAT machine's to be unreliable. Also, make sure you make some kind of digital copies.
Remember-It's not saved, until you have a backup-the true bitch about digital. 1 little wrinkle in that tape can cost you month's of work!

Tim

Thanks again for the replies. The studio we're going into is where Meatloaf did post-production for his Storytellers CD, so I trust these guys. They're very, very straightforward. They offer both 32 track ADAT and 24 track analog. We are fortunate that the band has an investor that is fronting the money for these sessions.

These guys were one of the first studios to use ADAT. And yes, I plan to make several copies. If all goes well, the investor may decide to book some more sessions. I've got my fingers crossed.

BTW, we're recording our backing tracks, then working on the vocal overdubs on our best songs, that way if we run out of time, I can always finish up in my studio. Vocals are easier to do here than the backing tracks.

Back