recording speakers

James Thorsen

I have two Univox stand up (four ten inch speakers) that my band uses for our PA speakers...I was wondering if I could use these speakers as recording speakers if I were to use it with an analog four track. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure I understand your question. Do you mean you want to use these PA speakers as monitors to listen to play back for mixing purposes? If that's what you mean, it would be a bad idea. It won't hurt anything but it'll be hard as hell to get good mixes through them that'll translate to other playback systems. If that's all you have, use them. Otherwise try to get a couple of hundred dollars together and buy yourself a decent pair of nearfield monitors.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I wanted to do...If the PA speakers aren't the best to use for this process (playback and mixing purposes that is), what speakers would anyone have to recomend...I guess I'd be looking for good quality speakers within the price range of two to three hundred dollars? Or is that too little?

James Thorsen said:
Yeah, that's pretty much what I wanted to do...If the PA speakers aren't the best to use for this process (playback and mixing purposes that is), what speakers would anyone have to recomend...I guess I'd be looking for good quality speakers within the price range of two to three hundred dollars? Or is that too little?

Yes, $300 is too little for a pair of decent monitors. If you want really good monitors you will need a lot more.

For a commercial studio it isn't hard to get a couple of mon's from the regular gearpimp and try them out for a couple of days, but a home recordist hasn't got that privilege, so the best thing you can do is search the forums and get as much info on monitors as you can find.

You will find many discussion about all kind of monitor speakers and you will find engineers that love monitor X and hate monitor Y and vice versa.

I have had Genelecs, KRK's, Alesis, Mackie and a lot of others and I still have a pair of NS10's (just for listening to a mix every now and then, they sound horrible) and a pair of enormous hi end speakers from the late seventies that sound wonderful. (15" woofers)

My favorite monitors are a pair of Transmission Line Speakers, also from the late seventies (IMF, type is ALS40II) which I have bought for 150 euro ( $193.50).

These are very neutral sounding speakers and you can listen many hours to them without getting ear fatigue.

See if you can find a pair. http://imf-electronics.com/

Back