Recording sound from an amp using a microphone - good idea?

Boomasura

Hello,

I bought a SPIDER V 240 amplifier along with my guitar. The amp can be connected directly to the computer via a USB port. I tried that and recorded the sound. I was disappointed with the result, because the sound in the computer sounded awful compared to the amplifier.

So I was thinking - how do I record the sound of the amplifier so the track sounds the closest to how it sounds when the amplifier actually produces the sound.

Would it be a good idea to place a microphone in front of the amplifier? How do I maximize the sound quality recorded? I don't own a microphone at the moment so I can not try it myself.

Have a nice day,
John

Putting a mic in front of the speaker is historically the most common way to record amps. If you decide to go that route, I would look up some tutorials and mic reviews to figure out what will work best for you. (There are basically unlimited configurations of specific mic, location relative to the speaker cone, etc. all with slight variations in tone)

The reason it sounds like garbage through the USB is because the speaker itself affects the sound a lot. The raw sound of an amplified guitar signal is actually pretty harsh. The speaker emphasizes pleasant mid-range frequencies and reduces harsh high-range ones.
The good news is that the sound of a speaker is really easy to replicate. If you look for a "speaker cabinet simulator" plugin, there are lots of options that will take the direct amplified signal and make it sound like it was played through a speaker and into a microphone. This allows you to cheaply and easily experiment with those configurations to figure out what works for you.

Realistically - to buy an interface and a typical guitar cabinet microphone - (The SM57 is probably still the favourite) is going to cost a couple of hundred. If you buy a mic, interface or speaker simulator/interface you might still need to explore EQ and room reverbs. It sounds so simple - but recording never is.

Just a thought - the USB connection you tried may well be better than you think once you apply the effects and EQ - don't expect anything to sound great as it plugs in - mics, simulators or direct out connections rarely sound good before you fiddle - and that's what your DAW does. Which one do you use?

VomitHatSteve: Thanks. I will try that. My amp already has a lot of "adjustments" like delay, reverb, compressor and so on, which "ruin" the sound and the highs recorded via USB sound as if I was scrambling a paper all over again. Guess I'll try recording it without the adjustments and adjust the sound in the computer.

rob aylestone: Thank you. I am prepared to invest some money into it. I am just really careful before I do that. To answer your question: I got Cubase LE AI Elements 11 along with the app.​

The thing is that I don't need to record a long guitar track. I am experiencing with clean sound that has a little bit of delay and sounds as if it was played in a cave. I would love to combine this sound (it may be for instance only 10 seconds in a loop), but I want it to sound like a proper studio high quality sound. The sound I created in my amp sounds great.

And is there a better DAW for this?

Maybe I'm confused.......but how are you listening to the recorded track? If you're listening back via your laptop speakers or cheap headphones you're NOT gonna hear anything like your raw sound right from the amp of course. I'm not saying the USB recording is ok to begin with.......maybe it is and may it's not.......but what are you listening to the recording with? You're not playing it back through your amp are you?

2 cents worth of......the problem may not be what you think it is......or maybe it is.

Mick

LazerBeakShiek: Unfortunately I don't get what you mean.​

Mickster: Studio headphones connected to the amp and output sound set as the amp.​

The problem is that I hear some cracking in the sound during the louder bits. I have a little suspicion that it might be my sound card. But in the picture above you can see that the recorded sound hits the max even if I'm not playing very loud. Or maybe I'm messing up something else.

Keep in mind that the big problem with USB mics is when they need increasing or decreasing in level, and the same thing might be happening with yours. Cubase, by the way is fine - but you do need to check the input levels don't clip - and of course, the reverbs in the basic version are a bit big and churchy, but there are always others to buy or get free - free ones rarely sound as nice as paid for ones of course.

I think you might need to cut the signal being recorded. The track you are showing looks like it's maxed out about 90% of the time. WAY too much signal there! Back off the volume on that channel in Cubase or from the amp (or both) and give it another try. I'm guessing the crackling you are hearing is the signal completely distorting. Your peak levels really should be about -10 or so on the meter.

The other thing that may be causing crackling is if your buffers are set too low in Cubase. That results in lost samples, which sound like the signal breaking up.

LazerBeakShiek: Unfortunately I don't get what you mean.​

Mickster: Studio headphones connected to the amp and output sound set as the amp.​

The problem is that I hear some cracking in the sound during the louder bits. I have a little suspicion that it might be my sound card. But in the picture above you can see that the recorded sound hits the max even if I'm not playing very loud. Or maybe I'm messing up something else.
Do you mean the audio from the computer is sent back to the amp via USB, and you have the headphones plugged into the amp to listen to this?
If so, then you are totally bypassing the computer's soundcard during this whole process. The soundcard's business is converting audio to digital (when recording), and then digital to audio (when listening back). You are using the amp's AD/DA converters if you the answer to my question is 'yes'.

Plug your headphones into your computer - most soundcards work just fine for D-A conversion for listening.

I think you might need to cut the signal being recorded. The track you are showing looks like it's maxed out about 90% of the time. WAY too much signal there! Back off the volume on that channel in Cubase or from the amp (or both) and give it another try. I'm guessing the crackling you are hearing is the signal completely distorting. Your peak levels really should be about -10 or so on the meter.

The other thing that may be causing crackling is if your buffers are set too low in Cubase. That results in lost samples, which sound like the signal breaking up.
This! Unless you're incredibly zoomed in on the Y-axis (which is not the default if you didn't do it on purpose), you're clipping all over the place

rob aylestone: Well, I am not using USB microphone. I have my amp connected directly to computer via USB.​

TalismanRich: Umm I'll try. I think I tried having about 8 decibels less in Cubase. It did work but the sound detail was not so good.​

mjbphotos: Oh wow. Did not know this. Well I have studio headphones, which cannot be plugged in the computer. I'll probably buy an audio interface (is that a good decision with regards to this issue?). Thanks.​

VomitHatSteve: I just plugged the amp in via USB and started recording. I did not change anything else.​

Also I have a different question now, but it is related to the topic: My amp has effects built in it. Is it possible to record the sound with these effects via USB or do I mess things up when I do that? For example I want to record a sound with delay, reverb and a little bit of distortion (don't know why I'd mix delay with distortion but umm why not :-D). Is that a usual think to record directly to PC with these effects? Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying this thread so far hah.

1622888718684.png

Okay guys - progressed a little bit. I changed the driver settings and DAW (Using Reaper now). I also turned in my very basic speakers so now the computer actually plays the sound from normal speakers (not from the amp again as suggested above). I have to say that it sounds a little bit better. I don't hear no cracking and other bad stuff. But also my amps are cost like 30$ so I can not really compare the quality that much since the sound that comes out is funny. Anyways I'll order some better studio speakers probably along with an audio interface (if anyone has a better suggestion, please pass it to me). Thanks to everyone.

mjbphotos: Oh wow. Did not know this. Well I have studio headphones, which cannot be plugged in the computer. I'll probably buy an audio interface (is that a good decision with regards to this issue?). Thanks.​

Also I have a different question now, but it is related to the topic: My amp has effects built in it. Is it possible to record the sound with these effects via USB or do I mess things up when I do that? For example I want to record a sound with delay, reverb and a little bit of distortion (don't know why I'd mix delay with distortion but umm why not :-D). Is that a usual think to record directly to PC with these effects? Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying this thread so far hah.
I assume you mean the headphones have a 1/4" plug, your computer has 1/8". You just need a $2 adapter.

THE UsB Output of the Amp should be the same sound you hear from the speaker of the Amp. If it does not include the fx, you need to go into the amp's settings to allow that.

What I meant about USB mics is that the problems of getting levels adjusted properly is exactly the same as an amp USB out. You idea to buy and interface is a good one, because then all things going in and out of your computer will use that - the audio side of most computers is somewhat limiting.

The thing you also need to digest is that for some people that $30 can get you something quite good, or something just exciting - part of the recording 'thing' is collecting these things and remembering you have them. So a reverb that sounds rubbish on a voice might sound great on a guitar. And the other way around.

One thing - You mentioned recording the effects and things your amp produces. This is good if you can be certain that when you've added voice, drums, more guitars and piano - or whatever - the amount of reverb and delay you chose still works. Often it doesn't. Sometimes an amp can have a really good effect - and some people with an interface, record the guitar clean and dry, then stick it back into the amp later on to add the effects and stuff - this 're-vamping' can also be used to fix dodgy solos - you record three or four versions and edit them together in Cubase - then add the distortion and delay and people think you're a killer guitarist. I have to admit that's how I often do it, because my guitar skills are a bit lacking.

I would also recommend a good audio interface, but for a somewhat different reason. It's the best way to connect headphones and good studio monitors. It may be that the USB connection from the amp is really a pretty good way to record it. Using a mic on the speaker is, of course, the standard way, but it means buying a mic (and a stand and cable), learning to use it, possibly playing loud. You can always add that option later. Of course, an interface means you're also going to have to invest in good monitors, and then you need to start thinking about your acoustic environment.

Back