Recording solution

sbcgroup2

I have a Mac Powerbook at home that I want to run recording software on at home to write songs. I'm concerned with adding instruments, samples, editing loops, etc. Ideas stuff that I can turn into a song. I'm into rock/hard rock/classic rock. I have a full fledged setup at my friend's place, so I can record live guitar tracks and quality vocal tracks as overdubs at later points in time, etc.

I was researching a few software packages such as Reason and Logic (I use an old PC version of Logic in our studio). What really impressed me with Logic were the sounds of the instruments and amps in comparison with a few of the other software packages out there. They sounded really amazing and above the rest. However, it's $1k!!:)

Cubase looked pretty attractive (gonna watch the videos on the website). ProTools LE looks pretty lacking in features.

The main connections I really need to have are guitar to computer and keyboard to computer (like the Korg Microcontroller, etc, which I'm assuming is midi).

Anyways, I was fooling around with Garage Band for a few hours this weekend and created some really amazing stuff with loops I liked. There just weren't enough samples!:)

Any suggestions or a starting point with which software is tried and true would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Back