Recording Solo Act at Bar

dmbpettit

I am going to be recording a friend at a bar. It is just him and his acoustic. I recorded him a few nights ago by using the direct out on the mixer into my delta 1010. Guitar on track 1, Vocal on track 2. This time I would like a little more 'live feel', so I would like to have a mic in the crowd to mix in with the soundboard recording. I only have a Behringer B-1 and a Shure sm58 at my disposal. Will either of these work? I know that it won't be stereo but the bar is very narrow and long and I think I could over look it.

Both of those will work.

I would recommend you put the B-1 somewhere around the front of the stage aiming out and the 58 about 15 or so from the stage or in front of the mix position. Record them on separate tracks if possible and balance to taste later.

I would also recommend that when you go to mix the project you bring up the "audience" mics first, get a good balance between the two that "feels like the room", then add the close mics into the room mics so they bring the audio a bit more 'upfront' in the presentation but the room tone is well represented.

Best of luck with the project.

Fletcher said:
I would also recommend that when you go to mix the project you bring up the "audience" mics first, get a good balance between the two that "feels like the room", then add the close mics into the room mics so they bring the audio a bit more 'upfront' in the presentation but the room tone is well represented.

I also do similar type of recording but I never am
sure whether to start with the spots and then
bring up the room, or start with the
room and bring up the spots. Is there
any rule of thumb on this?

No, there really isn't a rule of thumb. I start with the room and fit everything else into place with the room sound I have recorded... but I don't believe that's the standard way of working. Then again 90+% of the "live" recordings I hear sound like bad studio demos with reverb so maybe it's better to work the way I do... at least my shit seems to have the vibe of having been recorded live in a hall [bar, etc.]

Back