Recording software for Linux?

Personaly, I won't even compare them to Cakewalk or Cubase. From my personal experience, I didn't even understand how to set it up propherly in Linux :o In my limited point of view, it's announced rather to computer geek who knows how to compile & programing things than "regular" home recording musician. Looks like Linux will get it's way on audio workstation in future... Maybe next few years, but not now.

;)
Jaymz

Linux is not aimed at "computer users" yet.
It takes some knowledge of what
you have, what you want, etc.
Kinda like a real recording studio.

But while there doesn't yet seem to be
packages that parallel Sonar or Cubase,
I expect that to change. After all, I used
Cakewalk in the DOS days with a Roland
MPU-401. That was a lot more crude than
today's Sonar.

Getting linux drivers for sounds cards is a chicken
and egg problem, without products, there
are no users, and so the vendors have no
interest in making drivers. But that will
be solved.

While some folks wax about the low price
of Linux, I think a much more interesting part
of the Linix picture is the ability to build a system
that is optimized for what you want. No need for all
sorts of networking server services, etc. for
a DAW. You should be able to get performance
that will be mind boggling.

But it still looks to be a ways off.

I was looking for sound cards that had Linux drivers last night and I found this company called M-Audio. Their site ---> http://www.midiman.net/

They provide Linux drivers for all their products and they look like they make some real quality stuff. I especially liked the "delta series" cards.

Drivers for your hardware are the first thing to worry about, just as under any OS. So check the Alsa list carefully! At the moment, alsa is the way to go as it will be standard in the 2.6 kernel series (the next stable ones). This series will also be more usable for audio than the previous ones as they make low-latency working easier.

Midiman and rme are your safest bet for audio under linux as they are supportive of it.

Looks like I'll be doing buisness with midiman then.

I just had one more question. I have yet to use Linux and I'm still learning, so bear with me. I was browsing around on the net and I saw a couple "windows emulators" for Linux. Should I even consider trying to run a program like cakewalk on an emulator or would it run like crap? Would it even run?

I was browsing around on the net and I saw a couple "windows emulators" for Linux. Should I even consider trying to run a program like cakewalk on an emulator or would it run like crap? Would it even run?

Well, considering that they barely run even under "native" Windows -- add another layer of abstraction, and you might as well expect to get faster-than-light travel out of a Yugo...

Artist Unknown said:
I was browsing around on the net and I saw a couple "windows emulators" for Linux. Should I even consider trying to run a program like cakewalk on an emulator or would it run like crap? Would it even run?

Run, as in execute? or run as in moving faster than a walk?
It may execute. I can't imagine that you'd be happy with it.
Getting audio drivers to behave, be fast, low latency, etc.
is hard in one OS. Having one pretend to be another
is not going to help.

If you want to stay with Sonar, you can easily dual
boot, Linux one time, Windoze the next.

Another approach is VMware, they use the virtual CPU
ability of modern CPUs to do magic. Again with overhead
on execution, but it usually works. VMware is not cheap
so it isn't clear what you'd win using it.

I'd recommend deciding and staying with one OS or the other.
Since Linux runs well on smaller and older boxes than
Windows, you can usually build a linux box cheap.

could you just partition your drive(s) and run windows on the seperate drive? if your hard drive is too small buying a new one is pretty cheap - of course if you use linux you probably know more about computers than the guys who programed windows (not a slam on microsoft, i really like XP). basically you'd have two computers inside one case.

Running a sound application under an emulator is asking for troubles! You really depend on the way the hardware drivers talk to the real hardware. And this is next to impossible with an emulator in between. Something like office may be possible, but I would not count on more.

Dual boot is possible, but not that easy. Best is to install windoze first and keep that as the bootloader. Then install Linux and let it put the bootloader (liolo or grub) on the boot partition (this is a partition you make at installation time and it needs to be in the first 8GB). Then you can copy the boot sector from there to the partition windoze uses (your c:\) and include a reference to it in the boot loader of windoze. Not really hard, but you may need more assistance than I can give as I'm also relativly new :) When you are there, give a yell.

willovercome said:
could you just partition your drive(s) and run windows on the seperate drive?
basically you'd have two computers inside one case.

Yes, you can dual boot with or without separate
physical drives. Linux will want its own boot and swap
partitions, but they can be small.

Dual booting is a moderate PITA.
But if you can't aford a $300 used computer for
Linux, you may have to.

One clean approach is to mount your boot drives
in a removable carrier. They sell for about $20 at
your local computer store. Put the Windows C: drive
in one, the Linux / in the other, and then
just take the system down, swap disks, power up,
and be happy.