Recording Snake

terrapintaco

What's best to connect a Mackie VLZPromixer to a Delta 1010?- I want to send 8 outs from the mixer to the 1010.

Should I get a recording snake that has 8 cables? Would I get balanced or not?

And if I got a second snake could I simulaneously hook up 8 outs from the 1010 to the Mackie?

thanks,

TT

Which Mackie is it? How are you going to take the lines out? Channel inserts? Why do you want to take 8 lines back into the mixer?

If you give a little more information it'll be easier to help you. You can do everything you want to do with any number of "snakes". You could have one snake for the inputs and one for outputs, or just use one snake for the whole hookup. How you're going to wire this thing will depend on how you're going to get 8 lines out of the mixer.

Slackmaster 2000

It's a Mackie 1642VLZPro. My most important need is to send 8 analog outputs from the mixer to the Delta 1010- If i've got, for example, 3 vox and 2 keys, and 3 guitars going into the Mackie, I then want to route those to the 1010 to record simultaneously.

As far as going back to the mixer, I was thinking if I've got 8 tracks or less for a particular song I could mix on the Mackie.

I see that I can buy 1/4"phone to 1/4"" phone snakes, but they offer Balanced and not, and I'm not sure which would be preferable for what I want to do, if either.

thanks for your help,

TT

I have the same setup (1642VLZ and Delta 1010).

I am running two snakes - 1 for the inputs and 1 for the outputs. These are 8 cable TRS snakes. They allow me to record from 8 sources simultaneously. The inputs go from the Mackie's direct out connections into the Delta.

By running the outputs back to different channels in the Mackie I can make a headphone mix. For example I can raise the fader of the return if I want one instrument louder - without changing the recording level. I can also put hardware effects on the returns that are audible in the headphone mix, but are not recorded.

You can get a lot of flexibility with this setup. And yes, use balanced TRS cables, since both the Mackie and Delta are setup for it.

You could, of course, use individual patch cables and do the same thing, but the snake is neater and has color-coded ends so you can tell each connection apart.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Hey, I've got the same set up and i us an 8 channel balanced 1/4" TRS snake from the direct outs on the 1st eight channels. For playback I send stereo out 1/2 to my Mackie and mix in cakewalk. Good luck.

Back