Recording Small Amps verses POD: opinions with my scenereo in mind.

My Tech buddy and I are building some small amps,.... we currently have 5 more small ones in process, with a self biasing feature that will allow you to get all the tones you need from one amp,... just by changing the tubes,... and with a 'Yellow Jacket' to insert the EL84, you would have them all,...... just Email me, and we can talk about your needs,....

Steve

Amp emulation is the emperors new clothes of recording.

Just two days ago I had to mix a track with all the guitars direct and it really reminded me how vile amp simulators are. I usually just turn down mix jobs where the guitars were recorded direct because I know that the end result will be sub par, so I had not had to mix a record with direct guitars in a while and I started thinking that maybe i am imagining it and direct recording might actually be OK. I was glad I got a reminder. awful. truly awful. Put the guitar into the mix and not only does the guitar sound crappy, but its kils the sound of the cymbals and pretty much anything else in the mix.

I am not saying that if some one digs direct guitar recording that they are wrong for digging what they dig, but EVERY time I get hired to mix a record with direct guitars, the guitar sound sucks and I have to jump through all sort of hoops to try and cover up how bad the sound sucks. I use tube amps almost exclusively, but I would take any real amp on the market and a couple FX pedals over the top of the line fake amp. i am not a purist. the day that Line6 makes a fake amp that can match a decent tube amp I will start using them.

I love the sound of the the small vox ad15vt, I bought one yesterday and it's awesome. I know this post has been dead for a little while, but figured maybe it could help. It's a 15watt 8inch speaker, but it sounds huge!! It emulates 11 amps and I think it sounds much better then my Pod XT direct. And I liked it more then the Flextone and spider amps. They had it next to a few of the smaller Marshalls and I really didn't like there tone either. Well, that's about it, just another option to throw in the mix.

Jeff

Is it possible to run a largecab with a Pod without going through the amp? The reason I ask is simply because I have the pod and can get decent tone but don't have a 1x12 cab laying around.

Nope, gotta have power to push speakers, and the POD has NONE........

I've had a POD 2.0 for a few years. Never been able to get a good sound while recording....not too bad for live though.
Run it through an amp, switch the setting on back of the POD from direct to amp and that'll clean it up a little...
NBest bet is to ditch it and get a tube AMP if you're really wanting that warm, fulll, earthy tone.

Hey, Randall makes an amp that takes preamp modules to get different amp tones. Each module has 2 preamp tubes and all analog circuitry. There several different modules: fender, Mes, Marshall, etc. The module goes into a slot on the power amp/combo (different watts for different models) and these power amp/combos are then driven by power tubes--different types for each model.

Peace, Jim

My new love is a Rivera Pubster. It's 25 watts into a 10", open back. I also have a POD, a Line6 AX2, J Station, etc, and I'm starting to wonder why.

Thatupstateguy said:
My Tech buddy and I are building some small amps,.... we currently have 5 more small ones in process, with a self biasing feature that will allow you to get all the tones you need from one amp,... just by changing the tubes,... and with a 'Yellow Jacket' to insert the EL84, you would have them all,...... just Email me, and we can talk about your needs,....

Steve

kinda spammy.....

Try getting an old tube amp on ebay, like a little champ or Kalamazoo. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Back