Recording Settings

geeq

1. Do distance vary with recordings? If so, how far or how close does a singer/rapper have to record?

2. I own an 8-channel Behringer mixer.. Do EQ settings from mixer vary? What settings should I use, say dealing with knobs.. My mixer is connected to M-Audio Audiophile sound card.. I use a Nady System condenser mic, in case you ask.. How about the mic volume? What volume should I set it to? My friend (recording engr), told me that I should record on a very low volume, that way, the track doesn't blast when mixing..

P.S.
I just found out that sitting while recording give you a laid back smooth-type vocal, while standing, can give you a powerful-hype up vocal.. I also watch this MTV Series Christina's MTV diary. She was recording her song lying down.. I think it was for a mellow song.. Are there any other ways to record which give effects on the vocals? :)

lying down? heh. I seriously doubt christina recorded lying down. that's just bad vocal posture

geeq - mmmm, these are very basic recording questions that have been answered many times before. Thus they are not hard to find on other searches or even just doing a google search on the internet.

Danny

fenix said:
lying down? heh. I seriously doubt christina recorded lying down. that's just bad vocal posture

I can justify that she DID record one of her vocals lying down!!! I think the song she recorded that way was Beautiful. :D

I saw it on I think an E! News thing.

As for recording vocals.. do it however it sounds better... I record some of my songs resting right back in my computer chair, others standing up. Personally I haven't tried lying down. :D

Porter

How about my 2 main questions? :)

1. Do distance vary with recordings? If so, how far or how close does a singer/rapper have to record?

2. I own an 8-channel Behringer mixer.. Do EQ settings from mixer vary? What settings should I use, say dealing with knobs.. My mixer is connected to M-Audio Audiophile sound card.. I use a Nady System condenser mic, in case you ask.. How about the mic volume? What volume should I set it to? My friend (recording engr), told me that I should record on a very low volume, that way, the track doesn't blast when mixing..

Yo Island dweller Geeg:

Distance from the mic equates to mic savvy. I've recorded some folks who have great mic savvy -- they know when to back off a bit and when to move in close because they have experience.

Now, mic fixations for a live group is a little out of my expertise. But, you do have to watch the meters/needles and see what's crashing near the distortion level, especially with digital.

So, distance from the mic DO make a difference depending on the DOer!

Green Hornet

:D :D :p :p

What's a mic savvy? :)

Are you saying that if the performer has a loud voice, he has to back off a bit, if it's a mellow one, he has to move closer? I tried recording closer and abit farther, I seem to like the farther one, sounds clearer.. How about the mixer settings? All knobs are in the middle setting, cuz I don't really know how everything works in the mixer, How about the mic volume.. I don't have to go all the way to max, right?

I think you will find that The Green Hornet is referring to the way that the vocalist performs in that during the loud passages the vocalist moves further away from the mic and during the soft passages they move closer, basically they are the volume fader when recording.

Porter

When recording, keep all your mixer EQ knobs at zero (usually at the 12 o'clock position). Any adjustments made to low, mid, or high frequencies should be done by moving the microphone. Save moving those knobs for mixing or for when you have enough experience in recording to know exactly how to apply just the right amount of EQ without screwing up your sound.

Also, posture while singing is definately worth experimentation. John Lennon sang while laying on his back. If I remember correctly he did it for the song "Revolution".

Cy

You didn't get an answer to your questions unless I didn't understand them :)

Distance will vary the sound - period.

1. Distance will change the sound of the recording.
2. Mic and pattern as well
3. Room shape, placement in room and room size will effect the vocal sound
4. Your body is your resonance for your vocals. Change position and the color will change.

1+2+3+4 will interact and will change the sound.

A moving coil mic will become thinner and smaller as you get further back, anything more then 8 inches....

A condenser will blend better in a mix at around a foot and sometimes less at a cardiod pattern. Closer it will get thicker till "too thick".

The interaction of the direct sound and reflections of the room will give you the "room signature". You can have problems with phase from the reflections or you can have a good sound.

There are no rules and what I wrote is a foundation only.

As to the rest of your questions......do you mean will a eq on different mixers set the same, sound the same? if thats your question then the answer is thay won't sound the same.

The mic volume question - lear about gain staging. Read on this site or any other or read a lot of articles all on the web. Do a search.

Back