Recording set-up

geeq

Hello! :)
I am curently building a vocal booth for recording. My set-up for recording before was recording in one room, where all equipments, people are around. My routing for cables are:
Mic goes to mixer (line 1), then audio goes to my soundcard (M-Audio's Audiophile) thru RCA cable.. The background sound that goes out to the headphone comes from my other PC sound card. I know this seems to be not the right routing. The only way we hear the final recording is after recording, unlike other studio, where they can hear the singer record real time in a seperate room (control room). Since I'm building my own vocal booth, that way, we can listen to the song while recording, How would I route all my cables with my mixer. This is my equipments:

SOUND CARD: M-AUDIO - Audiophile
PC SOUND CARD: C-M Audio (wack sound card :) hehehe)..
MIXER: BEHRINGER - Eurorack (8 channel)
MIC: NADY SYSTEM - SCM 1000
SPEAKER: SONY Studio monitor (forgot the model).. but I have to connect it to an amplifier.

What I want it, I want recording happens in a small recording booth, while the vocals and instrumentals plays at the same time outside (Control area)..

You need to come out of the audiophile and into a stereo return on your mixer so that you can monitor.

Does your mixer have sterero returns ?

umm.. I did not use the Audiophile's output to mixer, I use my sound card instead to output to my mixer using an RCA Cable connecting to two channels from the mixer..

Hmm.. I tried playing with the routing set-up.. This is what I did..
From the Audiophile's sound card input, I connect it to my Mixer's TAPE OUT output. The Amplifier is also connected to my mixer's MASTER OUT. From my PC sound card, the instrumental from my computer is being played out to my mixer's TAPE IN input. The headphone is also connected to my mixer. I could monitor the mic to my speaker and headphone. But the main problem is, I want both vocals (while recoding) and instrumentals (playing from my PC sound card to my mixer) to be heard in my headphone and speaker (connected to my amplifier).. I tried this, but my computer also records the instrumental (coming out from my PC sound card to my mixer).. I hope you get this set-up... hmm i'll try to draw a text diagram..

PC SOUND CARD (Instrumental) === > MIXER (TAPE IN)

MIC (vocals) === > MIXER (line 1)

HEADPHONE === > MIXER (headphone)

MIXER (TAPE OUT) ======== > Audiophile sound card (IN)

MIXER (MASTER OUT) ======== > Amplifier-Speaker

My main problem is whenever I record vocals, the instrumental is being recorded too..
What do I do?

do you have direct outputs on your mixer ?

If you do, use that for the respected channel you are using. The direct out should go to your audiophile input.

What is sounds like to me is that you are inputing from your tape out which is mixing every thing together again.

You didn't give the model # of your mixer but i'm guessing it is the UB802. If that is the case, there should be a switch that says "tape to control room". Try turning that switch on. I believe this will make anything that is coming in (your background music) go out through the control room or headphone jacks and not back to the computer. I know very little about mixers but it is probably worth a try.

I have TAPE OUT and MASTER OUT..
the tape out is directly connected to my Audiophile's input..
While the master out is connected to my amplifier which is connected to my studio monitor as well...
:)

Back