Recording Sample

dr.colossus

Hey guys, not the best clip, I know, but I feel like I'm getting closer to "my sound". Its a little bit dirty in the top end (intentional) a little "over" compressed (intentional) and its got a bloody guitarist strumming along ;), has plenty of room sound. It's probably not hi-fi enough for some, but that was never my intention...

Kit ; MXL 990 through TLA Fatman with compression on (don't remember how much!) about 18" above the rack tom and 18" diagonally away from the kit. in the direction that a crash near the hi-hat would be but I don't use one, pointing in the middle of the snare. some top end boost through a dirty old citronix 15 band graphic eq.

Bass Drum; AT 25 Pro (this one is in the kick with muffling, now recording outside the kick with no muffling, mmm nice) through yamaha MG console then through dbx163x (pretty heavily) given a gentle touch of cathedral reverb through the boss s-e 50 (sharing with the guitar actually).

Guitar; SP B1 Through the Yami and RNC with cathedral verb

the whole lot was mixed through the yammi via the RNC as a "mastering comp".

Just thought I'd share, I really like the drum sound, please feel free to pick shit through it, thats what the discussion board is for.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/libandac1/sample.wav

Nice, sounds pretty good. Is the guitar being mic'd or direct? ...If so I'd move the mic away a tad - it could use a little more space. Kick and snare sound pretty good! What cymbals are you using? - They sound nice! (I only ask cause I just bought a 17" Zildjian Z-custom crash for $160 and I don't like the way it sounds recorded.)

It has a very 'Keith Moon' sound to it! I like it! I've got no problem with it. Very "The Strokes" sounding.

thanks guys, the guitar mic was kinda just popped upat the last second and was a foot away from the cab, I think it was the guitar the guitarist was using that day, it was kind of a new metal type beast. the ride is a very old 22" zildjian A, the "crash" is a 17" zildjian a med directly on top of an inverted 17" wuhan china. I really like what the 990 does for my cymbals and also that little bit of distortion i get from boosting the higher freqs though the citronix eq

dr.colossus said:
Hey guys, not the best clip, I know, but I feel like I'm getting closer to "my sound". Its a little bit dirty in the top end (intentional) a little "over" compressed (intentional) and its got a bloody guitarist strumming along ;), has plenty of room sound. It's probably not hi-fi enough for some, but that was never my intention...

Kit ; MXL 990 through TLA Fatman with compression on (don't remember how much!) about 18" above the rack tom and 18" diagonally away from the kit. in the direction that a crash near the hi-hat would be but I don't use one, pointing in the middle of the snare. some top end boost through a dirty old citronix 15 band graphic eq.

Bass Drum; AT 25 Pro (this one is in the kick with muffling, now recording outside the kick with no muffling, mmm nice) through yamaha MG console then through dbx163x (pretty heavily) given a gentle touch of cathedral reverb through the boss s-e 50 (sharing with the guitar actually).

Guitar; SP B1 Through the Yami and RNC with cathedral verb

the whole lot was mixed through the yammi via the RNC as a "mastering comp".

Just thought I'd share, I really like the drum sound, please feel free to pick shit through it, thats what the discussion board is for.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/libandac1/sample.wav

colussus, i like it...kits sounds solid and the vibe of the music is really nice. :)

not really sure that i'm following you on your 990 placement? so are you saying the mic is placed somewhat out front of the kit and pointed back? maybe i'm just stupid :o??

Dude, I think it's sweet. Granted, I'm just getting into all this... but very high-quality sounding IMO.

I'm curious, what's your snare drum like? I keep trying to tune mine, and am just continually disappointed. Might be time for a new one... :-/ (FYI, it's just a steel Ludwig Rocker snare - 6.5x14, steel)

the attatchment is an approximate "mic's eye" view of the kit, the mic was probably a touch lower. that is how the kit was set up for the recording, but i just had the 13" rack and 16" floor as opposed to the 16"'s in the pic. The snare is just a cheapie pearl steel shell form the 70's. I had always had trouble getting the right recorded snare sound. Then when I stopped micing the snare I found it sounded better than ever!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/libandac1/RIMG0101.jpg

I think that's possibly the ugliest, best-sounding kit I've ever seen. Nice work! :) I've had similar problems with the snare - I wanted to close-mic it to be able to boost the volume a wee bit, but the close-mic sounds are pretty terrible... ever figure that problem out?

johnny5dm said:
I think that's possibly the ugliest, best-sounding kit I've ever seen. Nice work! :) I've had similar problems with the snare - I wanted to close-mic it to be able to boost the volume a wee bit, but the close-mic sounds are pretty terrible... ever figure that problem out?

you can't just tell someone that their baby is ugly!!! AS for the snare, I have a loud snare and hit it really hard, so I'm a little lucky... Short from buying a new snare and changing the way you play, try to be a little savage on the o/h eq. I used a dirty old 15 band DJ eq (Citronix) to boost the snare a bit and dirty up the top end. I don't think drums need to be too 'clean' sounding, overdriving the sound can really bring out all the detail that would just get washed away in the mix.

Back