Recording Roland V Drums

KrispyDK

Hello,

I have a Roland TD12 drumkit which I want to record into cubase.

I know I can midi in and capture what I play and plug the midi file into a virtual instrument.

But are you able to get the V Drum kits out of the module and into a PC as opposed to playing your midi track through a virtual instrument? Or do you have to use the V Drum module as an outboard?

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is capture the midi and use the V Drums in cubase with audio control over each part (i.e. bass drum, snare, tom 1, tom 2, etc).

Cheers!

But are you able to get the V Drum kits out of the module and into a PC as opposed to playing your midi track through a virtual instrument? Or do you have to use the V Drum module as an outboard?

Cheers!

I am not sure I understand what you're asking. You would use the Audio Outs on the module to the Audio Ins on your interface. Pretty sure you can only record stereo, but I haven't looked up the TD12 to be positive.

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is capture the midi and use the V Drums in cubase with audio control over each part (i.e. bass drum, snare, tom 1, tom 2, etc).

If the TD12 only outputs stereo audio, then you are stuck with that. However, if you record the midi then run it through a VSTi that has the capability to separate out the drum parts, you will achieve what you want. EZDrummer can do that.

Hi Chili,

That's pretty much what I meant and a much better way of asking my question!

Is the only way to record the drums stored in the V Drum module via the stereo out. Seems it is.

Hi Chili,

That's pretty much what I meant and a much better way of asking my question!

Is the only way to record the drums stored in the V Drum module via the stereo out. Seems it is.

I just took a quick look at it... yup, seems to have only stereo outs.

Bugger! Would be lovely to have control over each piece in my PC.

Still, I guess if i get the mix right in the V Drum module it will be fine as one track in cubase.

Thanks very much for taking the time to look into that for me.

For control of each kit piece, you need to go out of your TD-12 via midi into your software and then use drum samples from EZdrummer, BFD etc. You'll have to abandon the internal v-drum sounds altogether, but you'll use the TD-12 sounds for monitoring while recording, so you won't have any latency issues. Connect your DAW outs into the aux input of the TD-12 for tracking.

Hi Krispy, I've come across this before with my TD3. You can't get the sounds out seperately nah, its a pain. What I did was spend ages getting the drum levels right in the sound brain so they wouldn't need much mixing on the PC.

You best bet may well be ezDrummer though. It takes a MIDI drum file and plays it using thousands of samples of drums being hit at different velocities - the overall result is better than my TD3 sound brain could do, plus you can mix every drum on its own channel

I will third the use the MIDI comment.V-drums are just MIDI anyways,why limit yourself to the Roland sound module.

Ezdrummer and the likes are a good way to go. The good ones aren't cheap and they take up lots of space, but the sounds speak for themselves.

But if you're trying to save money and like to spend lots of time adjusting things yourself, then you can use a VSTi(I use FPC in FL Studio) that you can load all of your own samples into. Being a metal musician, I went with Beta Monkey Double-bass Mania, which is mostly drum loops, but also contains a folder with one-shot samples. If you really love the sounds from your Roland, you can record your own samples from that. Same goes for an acoustic kit, which I'm assuming you have one as well. It's just a matter of spending hours tweeking everything and the more you put into it, the better it will sound (velocity-sensitive layers and such).

Most anybody in their right mind wouldn't have time or want to bother with this, but it is an option.

Back